Home > Trip Reports > March 8, 2013, Snoqualmie Pass north aspects

March 8, 2013, Snoqualmie Pass north aspects

3/8/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by John Morrow on 3/8/13 9:07am
OK, plan for today was to hit some north facing slopes between 5400 feet and 3800 feet.  Out of the PCT parking lot, and about a mile and 750 vertical into the gentle climb, the conversation went something like this:
Jake: You think the runs will be bombed out???
Me: Tree bombs?
Jake: Yeah€¦ bombs off trees, rocks, whatever.
Me: Naw, it's north facing what we are skiing!  Besides the sun barely came out yesterday and there's still some snow on those trees up ahead.
That was what I said€¦ What I actually was thinking was something like this," Why you telling me this now, Jake (1 mile and 750 vert into it).  We had an alternate in mind." 
But I can't blame Jake.  I was the one who suggested the trip, and was convinced the north aspects would be silk.  How did I not even consider the debris possibility in mid-March?

Important take home here:  If your north facing line is rimmed with east or west facing rock faces above, well, it is probably chunk now.  Yesterday's sun must have actually been pretty strong because everything that has rock faces above seems to have ran in substantial point releases.  North facing trees, and slopes w/o anything that could release off rock or sun exposed trees, held OK as we found on our second run of the day.  Other take home note, there may still be a substantial amount of large debris from last weeks rain cycle that we have not had enough new snow to cover up yet.  Bottom line: Around Snoqualmie Pass north facing slopes above 4200 feet are skiing beautifully with mid boot recycled powder, provided there is nothing that could have come down from anything above that saw sun.

Thus, our north facing line, that I have heard called "The Silver Lining", was mostly lined with large chunks of slide debris old and new.

Conversation at the bottom went like this:
Me: Oh well, at least it is a beautiful day and you can't beat the scenery.
Jake:  Hmm, scenery and beautiful day, huh?
Me: Yeah.
Jake:  You know what scenery and beautiful day is code for, "the skiing f__king sucked!"

Time now to the climb for the second short run.  This approach has me concerned because we were about to climb 1500 vertical of giant open south facing slopes.  However, everything that could have dripped/sluffed/run off the rocks and trees, and send point releases down, had done so already.  Judging from the surface hoar in the bed surfaces most all this happened yesterday.  Nothing propagated into slab fractures and there was really nothing left to come off the rock and trees above.  The climb went smooth.  However, there was debris basically everywhere. A few point releases had gained size and strength to run ridge to valley floor the day before.

From the saddle we finally got a whopping 800 vertical of really enjoyable near surface facetted powder on the north facing open tree slope.  Everything was made right in the world once again!  That said, I really hate sun and March warmth!  Please stay for another month Old Man Winter.

I threw up some pics on my Flickr page.
Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like the criteria for decent snow is pretty limited right now.

John - Nice report.  From the looks of your photos, you did a little better than we did.  We were looking for North facing slopes, but found what we suspected - wind hammered slopes from the stiff northerly winds from the prior day, but it was still the best snow of the day because everything else new was highly sun affected with up to 2" breakable crust until the sun came out.  We toured over the top of Snoqualmie and dropped into the Crooked.  There was about 6-9" on top of a very firm crust that had a layer about 3-4" deep that was pretty reactive and cut loose.  Watch out for that one - probably a wind slab.  Much of the good snow slopes were littered with debris from Thursday's warm sunshine.  Beautiful day out today.

We checked the south and treed aspects over by Kendall Lakes.  Excellent on bombed out powder in the trees and slightly wetter near the ridge.  The clear cut lower down skied exceptionally well on our return.  Great day overall.

author=Chuck C link=topic=27835.msg117059#msg117059 date=1362804789]
We checked the south and treed aspects over by Kendall Lakes.  Excellent on bombed out powder in the trees and slightly wetter near the ridge.  The clear cut lower down skied exceptionally well on our return.  Great day overall.

Yeah, how about that!  The clearcut was bulletproof freeze when we went through.  Figured it would be good corn if someone timed it right, glad you did.  Nice snow in tree shade indeed, and appeared to be deep enough to not even reach the rain crust.

Today Mark and I followed your track out of the basin after skiing the west Twin, John. You were spot on about the sluffs - it looked like everything that was going to point release had already done so. The snow had softened somewhat by 11:00 am, allowing reasonable edge and skin purchase. I'd guess perhaps only 5% of your uptrack had new sluff covering it. Also as you said, lots and lots of avy debris, but somewhat soft rather than icy death cookies. The sluff fans of smaller debris actually skied OK.

Skinning earlier up Kendall was very scratchy and we benefited from crampons up high. Some north facing tree protected shots had the same faceted 8" or so of fun powder. The crust down low in Commonwealth had softened but was still mostly supportive at 12:30. Absolutely beautiful day.

author=Jim_Clement link=topic=27835.msg117085#msg117085 date=1362871576]
Today Mark and I followed your track out of the basin after skiing the west Twin, John. You were spot on about the sluffs - it looked like everything that was going to point release had already done so. The snow had softened somewhat by 11:00 am, allowing reasonable edge and skin purchase. I'd guess perhaps only 5% of your uptrack had new sluff covering it. Also as you said, lots and lots of avy debris, but somewhat soft rather than icy death cookies. The sluff fans of smaller debris actually skied OK.

Skinning earlier up Kendall was very scratchy and we benefited from crampons up high. Some north facing tree protected shots had the same faceted 8" or so of fun powder. The crust down low in Commonwealth had softened but was still mostly supportive at 12:30. Absolutely beautiful day.

Cool Jim,
Thanks for the update.  Looking back at the photos from yesterday, I learned something.  Having never previously viewed our line prior to looking down it yesterday, I didn't realize how much rock face loomed above it as opposed to some other nearby lines.  Only makes sense that it would have a higher probability of being littered with slide debris as these photos below show.  I really liked the exploration and approach to our line.  But I think I'll pay more attention to the recent temperature and precipitation history before committing to the circuitous approach.
We exited about an hour later than you which added to the anxiety.  We knew we had the shady side alternative.  In the end it was the relative lack of looming snow on the rock and trees that made us feel we could get through it safely.  We did watch the one cornice and tried to avoid the far climbers right under the face.  The tracks that exited downstream/downvalley had me wondering if there was something else in the way of a good exit that we didn't know!  Glad you found some good snow!  the Twins are still my favorite.

Reply to this TR

march-8-2013-snoqualmie-pass-north-aspects
John Morrow
2013-03-08 17:07:09