Home > Trip Reports > May 7, 2005, -- Interglacier

May 7, 2005, -- Interglacier

5/7/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Randito on 5/7/05 11:09pm
Ended up doing a solo trip -- though there we several other parties in the area.  The trail is hikable until just before Glacier Basin (5800 ft), it's possble to start skinning earlier than this -- but several creek crossings require doffing the skis now.  ( I could see track from earlier were other were able to bridge the creek, but it's melted out too much now for that)

I was moving pretty slow -- so I only made it to around 8000ft by 2:00pm.  Seeing that clouds were starting to push over St. Elmo's pass, I opted to grab some turns in the sun, rather than continue to Camp Curtis as orginally planned.   I skied on the far skier's right of the glacier, next to the avalache debris to enjoy the untracked snow there and avoid the convex areas of the glacier that might harbor crevasses.  The first 1000vft were near perfect corn, followed by short section of breakable crust.  Below 6750ft the snow was gloppy mush.

Nice tracks Randy! Not to sound like a broken record, but what time of year in a normal year is current coverage similiar to? Eg, is the coverage similiar to early June, and would likely still be good for another month?

This year has been so out of wack it's hard to say how long it will be good for -- but one thing to note is that area's like the Interglacier, Fryingpan and Russell glaciers (above Spray park) have North and East facing aspects -- so they don't develop sun cups as badly as  the Muir snowfield.  Depending on your crevasse risk tolerance, they can provide enjoyable skiing well into the summer -- even this year.  The approach is a bit longer than Muir -- but since Dynafit's are so light -- that shouldn't be a big problem for you  ;)

Our party was there as well - made it to just above 9000 feet or so - where the snow turned to a mild breakable crust. You can still ski down about a mile on the approach trail.

The snow we got recently probably saved the late spring/summer season.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a cool spring.  

F.Y.I upper mountain (Emmons) looks good with the usual crevasse suspects and some funky chunks (serac debris?) in the main corridor.

Reply to this TR

may-7-2005-interglacier
Randito
2005-05-08 06:09:59