Home > Trip Reports > August 26, 2001, Camp Muir, Mt. Rainier NP

August 26, 2001, Camp Muir, Mt. Rainier NP

8/26/01
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ema on 9/15/02 10:11pm
My last ski outing was Adams on July 1. Wednesday was a big software release which has occupied me the last several months. Yesterday I put the battery back in my Mountain Rescue pager. I had to put in an August trip (you know, that consecutive month business). There are not a lot of options in late August for a day trip. There's Muir, of course. I hiked to Pebble Creek, skinned to the base of Anvil Rock, and ran the E edge of the Snowfield on a little new to Pebble Creek. Fairly grim (bumpy and dirty) but it was too early to quit. As I was putting on the skins I met Ron J and Jeanette M, curiously on foot, but they had already put in their August ski outings. Like me they were curious about the reports of crevasses on the upper Snowfield. So we took a look. There are three or four substantial glide cracks or creavasses, call them what you will, on the fall line beneath Muir (most are above Anvil Rock). The best skiing of the day was from Muir to the base of Anvil Rock (relatively new, clean, and consolidating). 6200 vf, 10 miles, which isn't bad for an old programmer who hasn't been out much, right?

Brent H

Reply to this TR

august-26-2001-camp-muir-mt-rainier-np
ema
2002-09-16 05:11:27