Home > Trip Reports > March 1, 2013, Echo Valley, Chelan

March 1, 2013, Echo Valley, Chelan

3/1/13
Posted by GregLange on 2/28/13 11:33pm
Attending a conference in Chelan, so had checked out the status for Echo Valley a week ago. "Closed for the season" said the website. However, a recon mission on my drive into town revealed a residual and tamped down 3"-4" base left over from the season. It froze just enough last night to allow for good skinning. I was in good company with both the sunrise AND a 3/4 moon, as well as the added bonus of the roosters announcing the beginning of the day. If you've never been to Echo Valley, it's sort of like the bumpy cowfield ski areas of the Mid-West. But, it DOES provide a ramp for turns. I think I may have poached these turns, as I sensed that this little spot lies on private land; sorry if that's the case. Anyhow, 500 vert before breakfast and month 185 in the bag! Certainly an antithetical experience to yesterday's visit to Hyak, with it's foot of soft mashers and the skies puking! Welcome to March...
It is a fun place.  First turns for the month.  ;)

Fun place.  It was open in January when  Debbie & I hit it on a long-weekend tour of Badger Mt, Loup Loup, and Echo Valley.

I don't think they'll mind that you "poached".  Congrats on 185!

-Dave

Here's an "in season" shot for interested viewers:

It is on my to do list to ski all the little operating ski areas in WA, and then try and get some of the extinct ones (a much more challenging task) congrats on the nice string.

Reply to this TR

march-1-2013-echo-valley-chelan
GregLange
2013-03-01 07:33:16