Home > Trip Reports > Feb 27, 2013, Red Mtn Pt 5703' Cle Elum Valley

Feb 27, 2013, Red Mtn Pt 5703' Cle Elum Valley

2/27/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 2/27/13 9:48am
Trying to eek out one last day of cold snow prior to the forecasted warm-up, Pico and I went in search of shaded slopes that would hopefully be non wind affected. We found both in abundance!!!

Notes:
Drive: I-90 to Roslyn/Salmon La Sac Exit 80.  Go through Roslyn for 20 some miles almost to Salmon La Sac and park in the non-snowpark parallel parking across from the Cooper River Road No 46 Bridge. 

Approach: Ski the groomed 46 RD for about one mile and turn west into the forest. Start climbing.  Enter the massive clearcut and climb along the NE trending rib above the major creek drainage that emanates from Basin 2 between Pt. 5703' and Pt. 5722'.  Head in to the beautiful Basin 2 and make your way to Pt. 5703' from the NE.

The ski:  Run 1 was excellent east facing powder off 5703' to about 4800 ft.  Skins on and we headed north to the twin rocky points at about 5360' on the long NE Ridge.  Skiing the undulating NE Ridge back to the clear cut was fantastic mid calf powder completely protected from the wind and very avalanche safe.  From 3800 feet to 3000 feet the snow got pretty heavy (yesterday would have been 3400 vert of powder!).   From 3000 feet to the 2400 ft mark on the road it was heavy soup that stopped unwaxed skis in their tracks!  The groomer even just passed on the road giving us fresh corduroy to skate out!
Much more to scope and ski up there then we have the legs for as usual.  But an awesome day non the less.

More pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@N03/
Yearg!

Looks like we were in the wrong place at the right time.  Glad you had a good ski....

author=Tophervw link=topic=27701.msg116440#msg116440 date=1362018061]
Yearg!

Looks like we were in the wrong place at the right time.  Glad you had a good ski....

Wish I would have thought to tell you about the NE rib of 5703' run last week.  It is a good safe one during high hazard.  Don't give up on the area!  I can send you some maps prior to you heading in that direction.
John

Thanks for the great TR and specifics. That looks like a great time. I have no real good info about skiing in that area but am sure their must be some really good skiing.

Question - generally drier snow and cooler temps then the crest (Sno Pass) and better weather vis too out that way?????

author=Griff link=topic=27701.msg116481#msg116481 date=1362073952]
Thanks for the great TR and specifics. That looks like a great time. I have no real good info about skiing in that area but am sure their must be some really good skiing.

Question - generally drier snow and cooler temps then the crest (Sno Pass) and better weather vis too out that way?????

Hi Griff,
It can be very fun up there, indeed.  Only caveat is the 2300 foot trailhead start.  The Cle Elum valley has its share crud, mank, and breakable crust below 3500 feet often.  Not a bad price to pay for often drier snow and better visibility.  I do consider it more of a Cascade Crest snowpack overall, though.  My ancedote:  If 12 to 18 fall at Snoq Pass then 10 to 14 will probably fall in the Cle valley and possibly 2 to 8" at Blewett.  I am mostly never right, though!!!  How's that for a wishy washy answer!  I will say it is easier to manage terrain (lower angles, trees, ribs) up the Cle Elum Valley, and on Red in particular, when hazard spikes at the passes.  Plus less slope bombage from rocks and trees and avalanche debris when temps are bouncing around as they will be soon enough here in March.
John

^^^^^ Thanks a lot for the info John. LOL on the wishy washy, just comes with the PNW weather and conditions. I too realize there are no givens, yet your anectdote is very valuable and those tend to have more truth then not.

Clearly like most of our skiing, better when the cooler temps are blowing through since the low start point.

Thanks again!!

Reply to this TR

feb-27-2013-red-mtn-pt-5703-cle-elum-valley
John Morrow
2013-02-27 17:48:02