Home > Trip Reports > Stuart Glacier 2-24-2013

Stuart Glacier 2-24-2013

2/24/13
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by alecapone on 2/25/13 1:12am
Went up to Mt Stuart's north side to have a look around  Sunday morning. Not much of the weekends storm made it to the east side with just a trace of new at the parking area. The bare spots 8 mile road where covered enough to leave the skis on for the up. once to the Colchuck th, snow had incresed to a huge inch or two with a crust, and then a few by the col/stu junction with a foot or more in the open meadows.  the snow between mtnrs creek and the upper basin was great for climbing and riding.

It was really windy up there, but not a lot of snow moving around. conditons were what you would excpect in a windy alpine spot. scour, powder, slabs, and crusts. The sherpa looked like it was getting side ways scoured, and maybe cross loaded. went up climbers right of the moraine to have a look at the icg.  looked like it slid a little, and was a little boney for steep snow climbing. Moraine bowl looked sick! continued on up the Stuart glacier to check out the SGC.

looking up Stuart Glacier Couloir

Once at the col I got hit with gail force winds. This continued in spurts for the rest of the time on the Stuart.

Careful of all the slots and slices in the ice, i alternated between skis and feet. FInally, at the base of the couloir, I came to an impasse. The bergshcrund spanned the length(i think) of the base of the couloir. I did some excavating and tried to make a way but rotten snow, short legs, and a giant void turned me around.

looking down, stuart lake on the left side, turn right at the col.

For the ride down I found mostly really good, stable powder.

parting shot

Short legs, huge heart, ur the man!!!

Epic pic of the NE face of Stuart & the Ice cliff,  looks knarly.
Great motivation getting in there solo again. I do wonder if I can feel an Enchantments cave coming on.... 

author=Jsper link=topic=27661.msg116242#msg116242 date=1361816419]
Short legs, huge heart, ur the man!!!

Another, justly rewarded, massive effort!

Reply to this TR

stuart-glacier-2-24-2013
alecapone
2013-02-25 09:12:08