Home > Trip Reports > Feb 23, 2013, Kendall Area

Feb 23, 2013, Kendall Area

2/23/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by fwb on 2/23/13 1:26pm
We joined the hoards for some skiing in Kendall Tree area.  Only one track up commonwealth, past the cliffs and up the trees.  Firm for my four paws.  Ted brought his four legged companion, so I was trying to learn from her about free rides on backs of those long boards.  The two legged tall ones dug a pit at the bottom of the opening (and filled it in when done -what gives with all those wide open deep pits left behind?)
c5000', west aspect RP at 33cm and RP at 110cm on solid crust layer.

A lap chasing the speeding foursome, I was trying to keep my head above the snow.  It was more like swimming.  Gees guys, fun, but let me catch my breath.  Too deep to even get a good bound.  Up for round two, I was happy for the firm skin track to walk up.  Then they went up higher looking for a lost skier.  More swimming down then another lap to check out the lakes.

c5350 SW aspect on the ridge they dug again.  I think I can dig great with my front paws, but I was already chest deep and happy for boards to stand on.

Their pit, ECTPV at 33cm on a 1.5 cm layer of 2-5mm Graupel.  Soon as they cut below the grauple it released..  Then further cutting at 70-80cm at an unconsolidated MF layer
Sudden  Planar release again while isolating the column.  That was enough to put my tail between my legs.  As they took the lower angle ridge out my ears popped up big when there was a big Whump.  I bounded behind them (swam) the low angle to the lake.  Then back up.  Dang, this young dog was getting tired.  Last trip down the trees I should have been smart and followed Phoebe.  She knows how to find those solid up tracks.  I'm male, so I just tried plowing.  I tried the stand 50' above to catch my breath, but they kept me plowing.  That Phoebe is smart, I'll have to learn more from her., WheH! back at the car, I barely was snuggled in the seat, when my eyes closed and I had a great post powder power nap.

I Five Woof powder day!
Four Legged Jack

I post pics of us, since we worked/played so much harder than the two leggeds today.  We met several other new buds up for a chase and it was tail wags allthe way up and down.
Thanks for the great report and tips! I'll be chasing my humans out in that same area today........

-Summit

Great report.  You probably ran into Tundra and Hopi -- they were out with their crew today.  Apparently Hopi was barking all day to get your attention...

Reply to this TR

feb-23-2013-kendall-area
fwb
2013-02-23 21:26:10