Home > Trip Reports > February 17, 2013, Bryant Couloir.

February 17, 2013, Bryant Couloir.

2/17/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Rowan Stewart on 2/17/13 11:35am
A friend and I rode the Bryant couloir for the first time today. We followed a well beaten skin track up towards bryant peak, passing a few parties as we went, and finally catching up to the people breaking trail. Thanks for sending us the right way you two!I had had low expectations for the snow, but we were pleasantly suprised (and a little alarmed) by the amount of snow. there was a consistent 12+ inches of soft fresh snow above 4500ft (somewhat slabby- a few cracks here and there.)  The splitboarder and skier couple dropped right at the top of the couloir, while nathaniel and i pressed on the the col.

When we dropped into the couloir, what visibility we had was lost.

As we rode down the funnel above the narrow rollover, the snow was incredibly deep - in some places there was as much as 3ft of windloaded snow. I was again a little bit spooked thinking about what if this huge slab of snow slid, but it was well bonded and did little more than sluff.  The ride was really fun despite the lack visibility, and I am stoked to get back and ride the bryant again.

i thought this might help with trip planning - there is a lot of good snow to be had in the snoqualmie area right now!

Reply to this TR

february-17-2013-bryant-couloir
Rowan Stewart
2013-02-17 19:35:34