Home > Trip Reports > April 30, 2005, Tatoosh::Castle Saddle

April 30, 2005, Tatoosh::Castle Saddle

4/30/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ultragrrl on 5/1/05 8:34pm
We had a lazy noon time start from Reflection Lakes (Stevens Canyon Rd is now open) with overcast skies and it looked as if the tip top of the tour may be totally socked in, but in this case our sloth paid off and about half way up the weather turned and we were treated to cloud speckled blue skies, sunshine, and excellent views of Rainier.

It was warm when we started and I don't think the temperature varied much. That being said we saw a small amount of very small climber triggered wet slides & death cookies running from the bootpack on steeper angled slopes. There were quite a few climbers up and about, but no other skiers/boarders.  The snow was about 1-2" of very wet & heavy pnw mashed potatoes on a very solid base.  The snow itself was very grabby & slow.  I found myself being chased by giant snow boulders in a few instances.  Not the best conditions, but with the gorgeous weather still a most excellent day!!

There is still quite a bit of snow cover up there; so, I think it will be a little while before it melts out and the slush
cup festivities can begin.      
Hey ultragrrl you stole my sunshine! >:( ;)

Buddy and I were touring Edith Creek.  Was high overcast with light misting.  From time to time the sun would beam thru.  Anyway if it wasn't steeper than 30 degrees it was work.  Still a fun day.  Kept thinking to myself where is everybody?  Maybe everyones preparing for the Muir race on Sunday.  One more 12 ounce curl and I'll have completed my set of 12. ;D

See...sometimes sleeping in pays off.  Yep,yep,yep. ;D Cause Edith Creek looked mighty nice from our perspective.  

Reply to this TR

april-30-2005-tatoosh-castle-saddle
ultragrrl
2005-05-02 03:34:20