Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2005, Camp Muir MRNP

May 1, 2005, Camp Muir MRNP

5/1/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by zenom on 5/1/05 9:38am
Nice day at Paradise. I left my car at 9:30 am, the snow was hard at that time but by 11:00 am up on the snowfield it was getting pretty soft and hot out. I got to Camp Muir at about 1:00 pm, just before the big race. I didn't participate, opting instead to leisurely carve my way down. I don't want to steal any of Lowell's thunder, but this is my best photo of the day, the racers getting on their marks to get set and go. They were quickly out of view so the start was all I saw. The upper 3000 ft on the snowfield was 4" deep smooth butter, fast and fun. Below about 7,000 ft the snow was slow and grabby mush.

Great picture Zeno. I like how you can see all eighteen of us clearly. The idea of sixty racers boggles the mind!

Zeno:

I like the photo too.  Maybe the Geschmozzel racing event will happen again next spring, I would like to check it out.

Got up there a little after 1 myself (the guy heading up in your pic... second from left).  The start really was a site to behold, not to mention all the figure 11's put down by the racers.  

Reply to this TR

may-1-2005-camp-muir-mrnp
zenom
2005-05-01 16:38:49