Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2005, Mt Hood - South side

May 1, 2005, Mt Hood - South side

5/1/05
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Kirsten on 5/1/05 7:23am
Nate and I drove down to Mt Hood on Saturday afternoon in the hopes of climbing/skiing the South Side (dog route) on Mt Hood on Sunday.  

Set out at 5am Sunday morning; followed the cattle-path the entire way under clear skis and calm winds.   Managed to keep the skins on until just below Crater Rock when it became just a bit too icy.  Ditched the skis at the Hogsback and headed up the Pearly Gates in a white-out.  Summitted at 10am in a thick cloud but managed to catch a few glimpses of Rainier and Adams.  :)  

Back at the Hogsback, the weather was looking less than perfect.  The original plan was to nap in the sun and wait for the snow to corn-up.  Unfortunately, the weather was not cooperating with clouds and a wind developing, so we opted to put the skis on and start down.   The first 1000 ft off the Hogsback were ICY and CRUDDY.   I took a nice digger and have the bruises to prove it.  :o  

Just below Crater Rock, we decided to have lunch and wait for the snow to soften.  After sitting around in the white-out for 30 minutes, we got a bit bored so started down.  We timed it pretty well and had decent corn the rest of the ski down the south side.  Dropped in the groomers for the lower-slushy stuff.  Back at the car for beers by noon.  

All-in-all...a perfect day!  :)

--Q (aka Kirsten)

Final push to the Summit

Skiing down the South Side
Nice report and pictures from Hood.  Ann and I skinned up to a bit below Crater Rock and didn't wait long enough for a window of good visibility to descend.  By the time we were finishing our run the sun decided to make a short appearance on the Zig Zag.

Reply to this TR

may-1-2005-mt-hood-south-side
Kirsten
2005-05-01 14:23:36