Home > Trip Reports > Feb 9and10: Gold Hills Ski Club Cabin

Feb 9and10: Gold Hills Ski Club Cabin

2/9/13
Posted by mattgoyer on 2/12/13 4:31am
Was lucky enough to get an invite to spend the weekend at one of Washington's "lost ski areas" the Gold Hills Ski Cabin.

Access was via Crystal Mountain. We cheated and took the Quicksilver chair (I didn't know that for $20 you could get a single ride ticket) then skinned up and past Hen Skin lake. The weather was not partly sunny as advertised but in fact very cloudy, very windy and traces of snow. However, the snow conditions were great. All the north facing snow was light and deep. Though on the south side of the ridge conditions were quiet firm. Figured it was a combo of wind and sun effect.

After stashing gear at the cabin we did a lap on the south side of Pickhandle Gap. Skiing was a little better in the trees but we got sucked into a drainage leading to Norse Creek.

Spent a fun night at the cabin. It was such a nice alternative to winter camping and really made me wish we had more (any?) backcountry cabins.

Sunday it was sunny! South faces warmed up nicely but we did a couple laps on the north west face of Pickhandle Point. Snow was deep and light. 

Great trip!  Many folks have forgot about the Gold Hills Ski Cabin or talked about it.  ;)

That looks idyllic.  How does one gain access/permission/key for cabin usage?

It was! Unfortunately I think you'll have to track down one of the handful of members and befriend them. They don't appear to have an Internet presence...

Reply to this TR

feb-9and10-gold-hills-ski-club-cabin
mattgoyer
2013-02-12 12:31:10