Home > Trip Reports > Feb 8-10, 2013, ONP pow skiing and The Hourglass

Feb 8-10, 2013, ONP pow skiing and The Hourglass

2/8/13
WA Olympics
Posted by tyreid on 2/12/13 4:28am
Fun weekend in the Olympics − pow skiing on Friday with a couple out of town guests, "hot pow" Saturday with a visiting guide, and recon on Sunday of "The Hourglass" on Mt. Angeles. Super cool line, wasn't quite in but still fun to check out. Comes off the east face of a minor sub peak in the south ridge of the west summit (say that 10 times fast).

Trip report on that mission here.
Great climbing and skiing.  ;)

Looks like some pucker factor!

Wow!

No wonder I didn't run into you out there. You don't have to wait for the crowds to fade to run that line!

Nice work!

Ha!  I loved your 11:30 am alpine start. 

Also, thanks for reporting in detail on these lines.  I'd really like to ski them this spring when they are in!

Looks like a great line. Is "An alternate entrance on the looker’s left side can be accessed from the top of the Pipeline and is a little mellower. "  top left of the big snowfield, the small visible snow section? So does the pipeline then make a sharp looker's right up behind the rock and start at this alternate entrance to "the hourglass"?
That is you are at the top of the pipeline / hourglass alternate entrance and skier's right is pipeline, skiers left is alternate entrance to hourglass?

Thanks!

Thanks guys!

ski2fly: You are correct, there's a gully that takes you right to the top of the Pipeline from the backside and from there you can bump over to that lookers left entrance.

Freakin awesome.  I'll need to venture that way!  Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks for the clarification.

Reply to this TR

feb-8-10-2013-onp-pow-skiing-and-the-hourglass
tyreid
2013-02-12 12:28:05