Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2005, Yakima Peak

May 1, 2005, Yakima Peak

5/1/05
Posted by Joedabaker on 5/1/05 7:09am
I could not get motivated to hit the Silver Ski reenactment race due to the blues felt from yesterdays fog fest at Chinook. I was really pissed at myself when I saw the Paradise web cam at 10 am and a clear day for the race! I hope that was a great event!
As an alternative measure I figured the snow may be goo but, at least the views from Chinook would be great so off I go.
The snow was really good for skinning as I proceded up from the first parking lot on the left East of the Chinook arch. Skied the NW facing bowl off of Yakima Peak to the basin. The snow is really mushy, but some bright spots of decent skiing. Deep Slurpee style goods. I ran into a bevy of old friends from Alpental, good to ski you all. I watched them ski down from the summit of Yakima peak from the basin below. When they arrived they were inspired to skin back to the summit and do it again! The views were super from the summit of Yakima Peak. It more than made up for the day before in the fog!
As I mentioned in yesterdays report-the snow is not going to last long and I am uncertain if it will ever consolidate before it runs out without a good freeze.
Good skiing with old friends-that made up for missing the race and the quality of the goo!
Joe

I not sure where you were looking, but I found the snow perfectly skiable on Sat and corning up nicely on Sun around Chinook Pass. North side of Pk 6567 was perfect corn yesterday afternoon. Where was everybody?

Newbie question - Where's peak 6567?

On Sunday we skied yo-yos on the north facing part of the bowl under Naches peak.  It was a bit slow and grabby (firm mashed potatoes) but still fun.

it's at the end of the ridge south from Naches Pk. Just above Dewey Lake. North side holds snow quite a while. You can't see it in this photo, but the back side is good too. Usually softens early and by the time you climb back up, the north side is ready. You can boot right up to the summit along that ridge in the photo. We might go back there again this weekend.

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic39833.jpg

I not sure where you were looking, but I found the snow perfectly skiable on Sat and corning up nicely on Sun around Chinook Pass.

I must be getting snow blind and becoming light weight in my old age. You know what they say-One man's Slurpee was another man's powder.

That is a great peak-that you have the picture of. My recomendation to those that venture out to that peak is to travel on the north side of the ridge line out. If you travel (especially Back) on the south side you can get caught in many cliff areas and terrain traps that force you downhill to the Dewey Creek drainage. It is a lot further out than it looks like from 410.
Joe

Reply to this TR

may-1-2005-yakima-peak
Joedabaker
2005-05-01 14:09:13