Home > Trip Reports > Feb 9, Bandit Peak, THE Black Hole Couloir

Feb 9, Bandit Peak, THE Black Hole Couloir

2/9/13
Posted by markhoroszowski on 2/11/13 10:37am
For anybody that has seen the infamous picture on John Scurlock's photo gallery of

And what it looks like when you are up in it...

And if you've read the trip reports from the following guys you realize that maybe that your imagination can become a reality if you're open to a 7 mile approach:

[li]Mtn Phil: http://www.mtnphil.com/Bandit/Bandit.html[/li]
    [li]Snow troopers: http://thesnowtroopers.com/2013/bandit-peak-wa-blackhole-couloir/[/li]
    [li]These guys: http://toddkilcup.blogspot.com/2012/02/bandit-peak-black-hole-couloir.html[/li]

What the skiers before us said is true... it's a BIG day and it's an EPIC day. Pictures and story below, but here is what you need to know in a nut shell:

[li]Budget 18 hours - there is no set clear trail through the Napeequa valley, which is kind of like the bastard step father of Gold Creek[/li]
    [li]There is some major avalanche terrain that you have no choice but to cross[/li]
    [li]After a 7-ish mile approach, you still have to climb 4000+ feet straight up a couloir... and then make it back[/li]
    [li]After leaving at 3:45am we took ~7.5 hours to approach (included getting stranded by the river), ~3.5 hours to climb the couloir, ~1.5 hours of break time, ~5.5 reverse approach[/li]
    [li]The wet storm and snow pack days before had naturally slid almost everything... we only set loose a small pocket in the couloir - our OCD for spacing and smart stopping places paid off[/li]
    [li]If you're going to park at Tall Timbers Ranch - call ahead and check if it's OK to park there... we almost got disallowed[/li]
    [li]Remember your ski pants[/li]
    [li]Bring enough food... and some iodine tablets for water refills[/li]

Useful resources and tips
Nice!

Your times are interesting. When we did it, it only took a little more than 3 hours for the approach, but more than 6 hours to climb the couloir! I think we stayed on the east side of the Napeequa the entire time - I think the only water crossing was Twin Lakes Creek, but I could be wrong.

author=philfort link=topic=27465.msg115534#msg115534 date=1360638488]
Nice!

Your times are interesting. When we did it, it only took a little more than 3 hours for the approach, but more than 6 hours to climb the couloir! I think we stayed on the east side of the Napeequa the entire time - I think the only water crossing was Twin Lakes Creek, but I could be wrong.

We remembered that from your report... we were mystified as to why it was taking so long. On the way up we tried to get in from the west side and then got stuck on that side of the stream... easily burned 1.5 hours getting up then coming back for a safe place. East side was the way to go. Based on the pictures it looked like we didn't have nearly as much new snow to plow through on the way up the couloir - that helped a bit :) Thanks for paving the way us!

Reply to this TR

feb-9-bandit-peak-the-black-hole-couloir
markhoroszowski
2013-02-11 18:37:03