Home > Trip Reports > April 30, 2005, Squock Glacier/Crag View

April 30, 2005, Squock Glacier/Crag View

4/30/05
Posted by wickstad on 4/30/05 10:22pm
We parked the car a couple hundred yards from the trailhead and skinned on near continuous snow from there.  

We took the behind the bathroom shortcut with minimal slide alder and one short carry to negotiate. The lower forest to 4000' is in pretty bad shape (snow coverage wise).

We skinned past Crag View on climber's right, noting several older slides off the east aspects.  On the glacier we stayed near the snowmobile trail on the far south side.

The snow was in excellent shape.  Above 6000' it was firm with a trace of new on top.  

We climbed into a whiteout at 7500'.  We turned around shortly thereafter.  

Snow conditions were very good for skiing.  The whiteout and runnels made it challenging at first.  Close to Crag View the skiing turned to more cornish.  Below that it was sticky.  I think because of  pollen.

One other thing.  The thermometer fluctuated wildly all day with no apparent explanation.  I theorize we were on the boundary between the warm and cold fronts but what do I know?

One more other thing.  We were basically completely alone.  Didn't see a soul.  Just two more cars parked near ours when we were done at 5:00pm.  

Reply to this TR

april-30-2005-squock-glacier-crag-view
wickstad
2005-05-01 05:22:04