Home > Trip Reports > Feb 9, 2013, - Arrowhead Clearcut

Feb 9, 2013, - Arrowhead Clearcut

2/9/13
Posted by cchapin on 2/9/13 1:29pm
Lots of logging activity on Arrowhead since I visited last year, in the 3000-4000 range.  It looks completely different now.  You no longer have to slog the entire road.  Instead there are 3 new open slopes to switchback up and ski down on.  Serious low hanging fruit here now.

We found firm\frozen snow down low which progressively got "deeper" and softer the higher we went.  6-8 inches fluffy powder on the open slopes near the top - enough for a few face shots given the slope angle but not enough to avoid scratching the crust from the rain event 1 1/2 weeks ago.  Pit analysis showed a confidence inspiring snowpack aligning with NWAC's Moderate forecast.  The only thing moving today were short sluffs.

Visibility was off and on once we reached the 5500 foot level.  We timed the summit perfectly for a solid view of 50 feet in all directions.  Some day I will get a view of Glacier Peak and Big Chiwaukum from this summit...

The incredible summit views:
Thanks for the conditions report Chris.  We came close to signing on with you guys, but seeing as how we're headed to High Camp Tuesday for a week, we figured against it.  Sounds like we need a bit more to bury that crunchiness.  Tuesday looks hopeful...

-Dave

Where did you park? In the little pull out on the south side of the road, just west of the tunnel fan and the old parking area that has signs prohibiting parking?

Dave, we gained the summit via the SW Ridge.  The south aspect near the ridge had a bit of a sun crust, and likely some wind impact too.  Have fun at High Camp next week!

Andr, we parked on the north side of the Hwy, the shoulder next to the DoT station.  There is space for about 6-8 cars here.  If the shoulder is full, there is another parking area about 1/8-1/10 mile to the west, where Hwy 2 rejoins\divides.  Not sure where the south side Hwy parking is that you are referring to.

Pics courtesy of Gerry - I didn't have the camera today!

Cool, I always look forward to those pics with snow flying everywhere & good colours.

Reply to this TR

feb-9-2013-arrowhead-clearcut
cchapin
2013-02-09 21:29:30