Home > Trip Reports > February 9, 2013, Snoqualmie Pass

February 9, 2013, Snoqualmie Pass

2/9/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 2/9/13 10:40am
6-8" crushed velvet above 4k on sheltered, shady, and open. Soft breakable crust on steeper S aspects. 2-3" mush at pass level in late afternoon. 

At 4k, the new/old bond 6-8" down is ~Q2. Snow above is so soft, propagation was negligible.

Tour was Commonwealth, Kendall peak lakes, Hyak,  Central, West, Alpy. Started 12:45, missed last chair 2 by 30 seconds.
Wow, that's a lot of mileage! I guess you walked from Gold Creek to Hyak, then lift assist up? Then walk back to Alpental? I give you right to claim a circumnav of the Summit-I90 corridor ;)

Shuttle to Alpental. It's a fun loop - the second time I've done it. It's a fun way to cover a lot of distance, most of it downhill. It's a good bet for a short day with crusty snow (if you have a pass), as much of the descent is on the Kendall Peak Lakes snowshoe trail .

Splits were 1:02 up, 1:30 Gold Creek Sno-park, 2:36 Chair 2 (started 12:54 from Commonwealth trailhead.). Got lucky on the shuttle front, I think. Lifts used were Hyak, Silver Fir, and Triple-60. Allow another hour+ if you're unfamiliar with the area, especially below Kendall Peak Lakes.  I didn't make the lakes proper, just not sure how to describe the basin that drains from them.

Creative, Charlie, thanks for the idea!!!!

Reply to this TR

february-9-2013-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2013-02-09 18:40:30