Home > Trip Reports > April 30 Naches Peak

April 30 Naches Peak

4/15/05
WA Cascades East Slopes South
Posted by Joedabaker on 4/29/05 9:40pm
Got to Chinook Pass around 7AM and was greeted by dense local fog and some periods of light rain and snow.
No other climbers in sight for good reason. I pondered either to go over Stevens Canyon to Paradise or the Tatoosh figuring higher is better. Before I was going to donate more money to the gas fund I would give Naches Peak a spin.
Climbed from the pullout east of Tipsoo. Where there is about 4 to 5 feet of snow on the side of the road. The snow is trying to consolidate due to lower temps, but the .25 of rain/snow last night saturated the top 6 inches of the surface. I did not dig a pit, but pole tests provided evidence that the snow is percolated in areas at least 2 plus feet deep. Snow is dwindling at a faster rate than consolidation, so I am not sure-maybe the base will erase before it all comes together. Evidence of that is apparent at the Cayuse pass 123 and 410 roads. Where there was 3 feet of snow last week and there is only one foot now.
I climbed to the true summit of Naches Peak in the fog via tree route above the lake. Decided that the best way down was the way I came up. Looking over at the North steep pitch looked inviting, but by myself, foggy and evidence of small glide cracks on the slope held any sort of ambition at bay. Snow was saturated as afore-mentioned and nothing really sliding down but small slush balls and some new wet snow on the top surface. The snow was just cold enough on the surface to grab the tails just slightly as I skied. As I decended the snow got deeper and stickier feeling. Some due to pollen and part due to wet saturated snow.
A rare day to not be inspired to keep hiking  ???, but it just was not that great to put value in another hike. The hottub at home sounded better  ;).
Joe
We were at Chinook Friday and had a decent tour on Yakima Peak - the percipitation came down as snow, with little accumulation - the North facing runs had enough coverage,but the best conditions were the turns back to the car just before it got real warm -

Reply to this TR

april-30-naches-peak
Joedabaker
2005-04-30 04:40:25