Home > Trip Reports > April 26, 27, 28, 2005, Little Navaho

April 26, 27, 28, 2005, Little Navaho

4/26/05
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Larry_R on 4/29/05 4:49pm
You have to do this trip on faith, because you won't see any snow until you get right to it. Tuesday I hiked in all the way to a campsite I like near where the trail crosses the creek that drains between Navaho and Little Navaho.  A few snow patches across the trail here and there.  Early Wednesday AM I started up the rib to the south of the creek and was able to put the skis on at 5350'. From there the snowpack gradually built on the northwest facing slopes; anything that got much sun was melted out, including the saddle at 6000'. There was lot's of snow on the north and east faces of Little Navaho however, and not a track anywhere.

After a few turns off the summit down the east face and being chased by sun wheels I decided to try something different and traversed back to and then down the ridge top that extends towards Miller Peak. The slope at this point faced NE instead of east and the snow was perfect corn. For the first time this season I finally found the conditions I like where the fun is in making as few turns as possible down the fall line instead of as many as possible.   :)

Then I skinned back up to the summit and tried the north face. That was great too. From the saddle I managed to ski down to 5150 feet by staying right near the creek. Sort'a fun.

On Thursday it was much colder. Since the skiing was so good on Little Navaho the day before I decided to go for a sure bet instead of trying the top of the blaze on Navaho, which still looked skiable. The difficulty with the blaze was that I would have had to carry the skis for a considerable way after the snow gave out.

At 8:00 am it was 31 degrees and snowing lightly on the summit of Little Navaho. What a difference from the day before.  Although the east face was full of death cookies compliments of some unnamed skier, the north face was hard and very smooth. Very fast too; didn't know my Atomic ultralights would go that fast.  Hmmm, now that I think of it, would does not mean should.  :)

Got back to the tent and the sun came out; too bad I could not have stayed longer. Thursday mid day would have been another super day of corn. But the hike out was nice; almost like early summer.

Larry

Reply to this TR

april-26-27-28-2005-little-navaho
Larry_R
2005-04-29 23:49:52