Home > Trip Reports > February 7, 2013, Summit West-Ruled Out

February 7, 2013, Summit West-Ruled Out

2/7/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 2/7/13 10:55am
Jill and I started to skin up the west sunny groomed run that looked great. A snow machine was at the east end of the area.  We skied about 100 feet and Jill said someone was calling us. She looked around and someone was running our way. We stopped and he said that you cannot skin at an area that has a snow machine at the area working.  This was the first time I have heard about the rules. So we skied to the car and went to Summit East that he mentioned is OK.

We got to East around 1pm and just skied up the groomed run.  There were a couple of skiers that had a fast track going up the Hyak Face and had numerous lines.  The long run going west was empty and the runs were happy on the sunny slopes and the groomers in the shade were not so happy.
When I read the actual lease a few years back, what it said was they the ski area operator could exclude anyone from the area for any reason at any time (in almost those exact words). This was during the winter that they said you couldn't park in ski area lots around Alpental unless you had a lift pass, effectively locking everyone out of the backcountry around Souce Lake.

Andy Fitz, who was with the Access Fund at the time, got involved and the whole thing evaporated, but I'd be stunned if that language was ever removed from the lease.

Reply to this TR

february-7-2013-summit-west-ruled-out
Zap
2013-02-07 18:55:52