Home > Trip Reports > April 27, 2005, Bardini Canyon

April 27, 2005, Bardini Canyon

4/27/05
Posted by Zap on 4/28/05 8:40am
We arrived in Bishop late on Tuesday and pulled into the local K-Mart lot. Not the most scenic location but alot easier to find than a backcountry campsite in the dark.  Headed up into the Buttermilk area to find Bryan and Carol, Jens, Annette, and Elaine.  We found their campsite but they were already gone and it was only 9am. Continued up hwy 168 to the junction and drove towards South Lake. This year the road is only plowed to Parchers but the DOT is working on it.  We drove back to Four Jeffreys Campground at 8200' at the base of Table Montain.  It was a sunny morning BUT looking to the west we could see the approaching front.  We weren't alone today. An SUV was already parked and 3 more vehicles showed up while we were getting ready. Seeing it wasn't a powder day and I thought someone was local,we tried to outstall them.It worked but they picked the knee deep unconsolidated boot track.  We went climber right and passed the pack after an hour.You have to remember we are seniors.  The area is known locally as Bardini Canyon in memory of Allan Bard. There are numerous north facing gullies. There is a steep gully that provides a direct route to the summit ridge and it required a high clmber settng on our Dynafit bindings. As we neared the summit the winds increased and the snow showers were heading our way and just one canyon over from our location.  Time to pull the skins and enjoy the corn.  The descent was excellent on the sun exposed slopes up high and unconsolidated mush for about 200 vertical on the broad slopes.  We headed for the climbing gully and skied the double fall line route in excellent corn.  By the time we reached the camper it was snowing lightly.  We stuffed the gear quickly and within 15 minutes the sun returned.  The guys that started before us returned.  They threw their gear in the back of their rig and layed down on the blacktop and took a nap.  Must have been a long tour.:)  We returned to the junction and drove all the way to Lake Sabrina.  As usual, the North Lake road is not plowed so you'll have to park at the cut-off. The Evloution Loop is now accessible from Lake Sabrina. The trout fishing opener begins this weekend and the roads are opening.  Prime time in the Sierras.  Zap  
You make me want to quit my job and head out on the road in a camper van. Hmm...

So does K-Mart have the same camp-in-parking-lot policy as WalMart?

Zap -- Sounds like conditions are great.  So, it looks like the access is good for LeMark col and surrounding areas?  We are planning to start a trip down there next Friday.  

Say hi to Annette and Jens for me.

Ross.

I'n in jackson, wy, and was thinking of heading out to the sierras in late may, leaving here on or about may 26.  a local ski quide just reported that the sierra will be over by then.  any thoughts on the matter?

jim larue

I think your local guide is mistaken Jim.  Ton's of coverage that will last AT LEAST 2 more months.  This could be a Sierra's TAY kinda year.  ;D

I agree with powderjunkie. Skiing there in spring/summer of '98, similar to this years snowpack, Mammoth was still open on July 4th, and we had just skied Dana Couloir and Ellery bowl to the highway on smooth snow....The skis to the desert floor may not be skiiable this late, but when Tioga pass opens, there is still plenty to ski well into summer.

Skiing is great rate now in the Sierra and the snowpack should take us into mid-June.  However, I caution one to believe that the weather will cooperate.  All it takes is one heat wave to throw everything out of cycle.  In 1995 after another stellar year and one of the top 5 on record in the Sierra, a heat wave came through and rapidly melted the snowpack.  Reservoirs could not catch the snowmelt runoff, neccessary for Ca' water supply.

I'm a realist.  Ski it while you can.  If anyone needs beta, consult the guys at Mammoth Mountaineering.  Also, check out sierrabackcountry.org and telemarktips.com.  for local beta.

Andrew

Reply to this TR

april-27-2005-bardini-canyon
Zap
2005-04-28 15:40:16