Home > Trip Reports > February 5, 2013, GTNP, Pillowlandia

February 5, 2013, GTNP, Pillowlandia

2/5/13
Posted by skier8484 on 2/5/13 8:00am
Skiing conditions since I arrived last Friday in Jackson have been superb.  Touring on 25 Short and both sides of Teton Pass have been fantastic with little wind affect and no observed instability (deep slab lurking, dictating terrain selection).  Toured up Shadow Peak today, with the intent of skiing the NE face and the trees below.  I expected to find moderate to steep tree skiing with good snow.  Little did I know I would stumble into 3,000' of trees, pillows and chutes making for one of the most fun runs of the season. 

The skin track was in, making progress up Shadow Peak relatively painless.  Views from the top were good under greybird skies and moderate wind.

Looking South toward the backside of 25 Short; the Turkey Chute is center left:

The NE "face" of Shadow Peak offered ripper slightly consolidated powder:

After veering skiers right the real fun began: pillows for a solid 2,000' vert with fun small chutes and tree shots breaking up the air time.  I linked up with another group, and it was fun to feed off the collective stoke as we skied/aired our way down through the trees.

Pillowlandia (the actual name of the line):

The lower face was slightly sun affected, but fun lines were still had:

The crux of the day was probably skinning across Bradley Lake, which was surprisingly slushy for mid-winter.  As we skinned out the high clouds began to lift, allowing the Tetons to show their might:

Such a fun line, with great people and snow.  Tomorrow's objective: inspired by today's high energy and the three dudes that shredded it today and put in the boot pack!  ;D
Nice to see a cool report from somewhere else. Looked like great fun.

Super awesome.  Must be fun to get on some bigger lines instead of the usual 'mini golf'.

And now for something completely different...  Thanks for taking us somewhere else!  Safe travels.

Reply to this TR

february-5-2013-gtnp-pillowlandia
skier8484
2013-02-05 16:00:20