Home > Trip Reports > Feb 2 Saddle Mtn, Lost Trail MT

Feb 2 Saddle Mtn, Lost Trail MT

2/2/13
Posted by filbo on 2/5/13 1:58am
Found incrredible touring and skiing through trees for as far as one would wish to descend off the backside of Lost Trail at a lift served 8,200' summit for a $5 one ride ticket.
After following the storm last week when our snow levels rose I made it to the resort for their Thurs. opening with over a foot of accumulated fresh and cold temps.  Skied up the pow for two days then tried my luck soloing off the backside of the peak.  The skiable terrain literally blew my mind, nothing as far as open bowls, instead wide spaced forested rolling terrain for some incredible tree skiing.
Only saw three other people touring on the Saturday.
Thought I'd give all the TAYers a heads up about this great place to tour.
I <3 LT ... especially when there is sufficient snow! I'm a Salmon local, so I end up skiing there a couple of times each season (which turns out to be almost all of my resort skiing). Glad you enjoyed yourself.

did that area get burned recently?

From the top of the summit there was a lot of burn as you skied down which made the tree spaces real nice and fast for descents.  Don't know how recently they burned but yep and how did you know that have you skied the bc there?

lost trail is sick. never ridden out of bounds.. never really needed too either i guess

author=filbo link=topic=27360.msg115295#msg115295 date=1360264585]
From the top of the summit there was a lot of burn as you skied down which made the tree spaces real nice and fast for descents.   Don't know how recently they burned but yep and how did you know that have you skied the bc there?

The burn inside the ski resort is from around the turn of the century (and predates the lift that serves it). There was another big fire in the general area last summer, but it did not get close to the ski area.

Reply to this TR

feb-2-saddle-mtn-lost-trail-mt
filbo
2013-02-05 09:58:25