Home > Trip Reports > Feb 2 - Duffey Lake Road - Cerise Creek

Feb 2 - Duffey Lake Road - Cerise Creek

2/2/13
Posted by KW on 2/4/13 12:02am

After spending most of the month in the Interior of BC it was time to hit the Duffey again! This season has been strange to say the least with big storms followed by huge lulls. It does get the mind thinking about trying some bigger objectives earlier than we might have in past years.

A 2am wake up and making the trailhead at 6am much to our surprise we were the only ones in the parking lot. We grabbed a quick nap before we blasted off with one group in front of us.

We set our sights on linking 2 North Facing runs NW Face of Matier and the Stonecrop Glacier.  It is a 1600m 8km skin to our first line and we left early in order to avoid the sun affected slopes on the lower mountain.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8323/8442004936_05b06a0bda.jpg" />

The well traveled trail made for a quick ascent making the Keith's hut turn in a little over 1.5 hrs. 

Reaching the Matier Joffre Col in 3:45 the wind was howling. Facing another 5 hours of mountain travel marginal snow and the prospect of skiing 45 degree styrofoam we pulled the pin. All was not lost as the 900m glacier run was our consolation. We will save this mission for another day.

Full write up powdergangster.ca
More pics here
Great report and photos for Cerise Creek. The last time I was there was Victoria Day by mistake.

Good thoughts at "powdergangster.ca"
;)

"So don't turn around the moment you feel scared, but evaluate the situation objectively when that little alarm goes off. It is all about your risk tolerance - the more you are willing to risk, the more you ignore your epic alarm. The mountains will still be there next week so sometimes waiting is the best course of action"

Thanks Zap.

I try not to preach that often but after seeing some decisions that gave me chills Saturday. That was the reason for the post Here is the full thought
"
There is nothing wrong with turning around and aborting a mission. I have done it more times than I can count. Learn to trust that feeling, as it is normally alerting you to danger. That being said, if you always turned around when you saw a small storm cloud in the sky, or weren't feeling 100% fit and up to par, you'll likely never accomplish your objectives.

So don't turn around the moment you feel scared, but evaluate the situation objectively when that little alarm goes off. It is all about your risk tolerance - the more you are willing to risk, the more you ignore your epic alarm. The mountains will still be there next week so sometimes waiting is the best course of action.

"
There were some south facing sun affected slopes that had wet slides on them and seeing people heading through pin wheels in the heat of the afternoon. I am no guide so I can't judge peoples decision making. I will ski aggressive stuff but under the right conditions.

I think the whole ski movie mentality and the quest for the extreme pushes people beyond their experience from time to time. For the most part with coastal stability you can get away with it. There is no shame in turning around. That I guess that is the point of my whole rambling....

How long is the ski into Keith's Hut? I'd like to head up there in early March and would love any tips and tricks you may know about the area/hut/ski zones.  Thanks!

Ski in to the hut is pretty quick about 1.5 to 2.5 hrs depending on how loaded down you are. It is the busiest area on the whole road and the hut is more like a party town than a skiers destination. If you are going in on a weekend bring a tent and expect a full house.

As for the ski area lots of options in that drainage. All aspects from steep techy descents to mellow glacier runs. Pick up the Baldwin duffey lake road map and just explore. Lots of options.

Reply to this TR

feb-2-duffey-lake-road-cerise-creek
KW
2013-02-04 08:02:31