Home > Trip Reports > Feb 2, 2013, Nason Ridge, Mastiff Approach

Feb 2, 2013, Nason Ridge, Mastiff Approach

2/2/13
Posted by John Morrow on 2/3/13 1:39pm
We only had a half day to kill due to afternoon obligations.  Thus, Justin, Jake and I headed up Hwy 2 to find a decent approach route up Nason Ridge.  Our  intention was to find a quick way of getting in to ski the long east slope of Mt. Mastiff that alecapone skied the day before.  Justin and I skied it once long ago in classic east facing breakable crust.  Too short a day today, but we found a nice open way up and down the big timbered south slopes.
We basically parked 1/4 mile west of the Merritt Lake summer TH that the DOT has stopped plowing.  Up through the powerlines and onto mostly moderate angle partial cut and open glades.  Being south facing, you can guess that we found a few turns of firm proto-corn, a few of shade frozen, and a bunch of varyingly unsupportive mush!  Still a great day in a beautiful place!

More pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@N03/sets/72157632685828178/
Ahhh! Nice. Thats the finall decent we where looking for!

. Did you continue straight up the ridge from the road until it knifes out, or go around merit lake way? Couldnt tell in the dark but it would have been easier to decend that way after climbing from lost lake, if possible.

That photo with rock looks like you are on the west side of the ridge..

author=alecapone link=topic=27337.msg115121#msg115121 date=1360078364]
Ahhh! Nice. Thats the finall decent we where looking for!

. Did you continue straight up the ridge from the road until it knifes out, or go around merit lake way? Couldnt tell in the dark but it would have been easier to decend that way after climbing from lost lake, if possible.

That photo with rock looks like you are on the west side of the ridge..

Hi Scott,
Here's a photo and map of the route.  I like it although it is getting thin at the bottom with snowpack.  The ridge itself is broad and open forest until Pt. 6125.  But it would be easy enough to not go so high and do an easy contour around to Merritt Lake.
John

Thanks john!

That most def would have worked.

I think the best would be to.climb from lost lake to the spot you stopped, then decend. Skip merrit all together..just didnt have the light to attempt it.

We skinned to a spot just down the ridge to the east of that point.  Very mellow terrain between us there.

as i recall there was a bit of a chute down to lost lake from right about where your track stopped on that map.  i think it would have made for decent climbing or maybe even a fun little mini run.  it's good to know about the better exit--there's certainly enough cool stuff back there to justify a return trip!

author=bs. link=topic=27337.msg115245#msg115245 date=1360194859]
as i recall there was a bit of a chute down to lost lake from right about where your track stopped on that map.  i think it would have made for decent climbing or maybe even a fun little mini run.  it's good to know about the better exit--there's certainly enough cool stuff back there to justify a return trip!

Exactly!  We wanted to drop in but ran short of time and were a bit concerned about wind loading over the old (possible) burried surface hoar.

Reply to this TR

feb-2-2013-nason-ridge-mastiff-approach
John Morrow
2013-02-03 21:39:47