Home > Trip Reports > Feb 3, 2013, Granite Mountain tough going

Feb 3, 2013, Granite Mountain tough going

2/3/13
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lin on 2/3/13 1:39pm
There was a little of everything on Granite today.  We started with an easy walk up the trail on soft but not mushy snow at about 9am.  At 9:45 skinning was nice while the folks walking were stuck in the mush.  By 11 am and 4800 ft the snow turned to ice and skinning was difficult even with ski crampons.  Around 5000 ft we decided to turn around due to the "firm" conditions and fog.  It was not fun skiing down either.

The slides from yesterday were settled and frozen.  Absolutely no snow movement, etc.

With all the fun, I lost a ski crampon.  Please call or email me if you find it.  Thanks!  Lin 206.898.0928
Sounds very familiar.  We got a little bit later start due to parking pass shenanigans, but had a pretty similar day.  Found the steep skin track up the face - stayed on it for a while but bailed to the west ridge at ~5k and called it off due to horrid conditions.  Ski crampons were a godsend.

The south face was less than appealing, so we skied down the west ridge. Found some decent skiing between 3700 and 4400, so we did an extra lap there.  Tree skiing below that was the stuff that strong character is made up of.

Managed to "ski" all the way to the road....but came out half way to I-90 from the parking lot, whoops!

Reply to this TR

feb-3-2013-granite-mountain-tough-going
Lin
2013-02-03 21:39:17