Home > Trip Reports > April 27, 2005, Silver Peak Revisited

April 27, 2005, Silver Peak Revisited

4/27/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by androolus on 4/27/05 1:11am
After reading the report of drivability to Windy pass, Wolfs and I patrolled the dawn this morning. If I had a macho 4x4 we could have plunged up the logging spur, but alas we were thwarted by 6 inch deep snow on road and parked at Windy pass.

Debated following others postholes up crest trail, but decided on spur road approach. Skinned from point on spur where it first turneth south, half way up clearcut. Road approach seems too long. Perhaps trail approach better or even trail to east of NE ridge on summer route. Anyone got the beta on that?

Emerged from fog upon emerging from trees into bowl beneath N ridge. Some crust in places, but melted quickly, too quickly. Ski down into bowl from N ridge not bad despite suncups and being a little soft.
I've gained the NE ridge from the bowl/cirque on the eastern aspect. I used a right slanting gully which I acessed via this bowl. I followed the stream above the tiny lake down at the foot of the basin up into the first/lower eastern bowl. Then headed up the arm and found the gully. I belive you can't see the acess gully from down in the bowl, you can just see the shelf on which it's located(running on a tilt to the south). This may either help you or confuse you. Good luck.

I was up there with the e-dog on the 27th also but in the evening.  Yes, getting to the start of skinnable snow is a challenge. Ascending we followed the tree line up off the PCT, not enough snow to skin well and too much to hike. Solution: it's melting quickly so hiking will soon be the only option unless you can skin on shrubs and downed timber. Top portion was very nice; cream corn. Sadly, by next weekend I don't know what will be left. Muir time? Funny you went up on the logging road; we came down that way thinking it would be more pleasant.  ;) Beautiful windy broken cloud evening.

Reply to this TR

april-27-2005-silver-peak-revisited
androolus
2005-04-27 08:11:25