Home > Trip Reports > April 26, 2005, The Sherwins

April 26, 2005, The Sherwins

4/26/05
Posted by Zap on 4/26/05 11:17am
According to John Moynier,"The Sherwins are like a candy store". Now doesn't that just kind of perk your backcountry interest.  I've wanted to ski The Sherwins the past couple of years but the snowpack was too low when I was around. We were up at 7am and drove back to Mammoth along the Old Mammoth road to look up at the various descent routes - Rock Chute, Fingers, Dempsey Don't, The Hose and Poop Chute.These plus other local favorites are clearly visible from the village of Mammoth.  The runs start around 10,100' and descend to the valley floor about 2200 vertical near the Snowcreek housing development. The traditional ascent is from the Twin Lakes TH but some have skinned up from the valley floor, others have skinned from Old Mammoth road and the more innovative have taken a snowmobile up to a high point. We went the traditional route and again drove to the Twin Lakes TH.  We started skinning around 11am again and signs of the approaching low pressure system were starting to appear with high clouds.  We skinned to the junction of the Old Mammoth road which is snow covered and continued another few hundred yards to the boot track on the left.  The trail to the top of The Sherwins starts at 8900 feet and is a boot track.  We holstered the skis and started following the single boot track in the snow.  Within 100 vertical the snow has melted and the path is a scramble on rock and spree.  As with most scrambles, the wide sections have numerous paths and the steep and narrow sections bring everyone together to the preferred route.  You climb past an old mining shaft and building and then the views open towards the Mammoth Crest and the village of Mammoth.  The trail is serpentine and you only see segments as it spirals up towards the ridge.  After an hour and a half of mature climbing time, we reach the ridge of The Sherwins. It's worth the climb.  Below you are the deveopments of Mammoth, the stoic beauty of Mammoth Rock, in the distance the upper lifts of Mammoth ski resort and the spectacular Mammoth Crest wth views of Hollywood Bowl, Red Cone Bowl, Ships Prow, Crystal Crag and Blue Crag.  

We decide to descend the bowl towards Mammoth Rock and traverse skiers left.  The upper 100 vertical was heavy powder but quickly changed to corn and provided an easy turning surface as we cranked our way towards Mammoth Rock.  Once below the rock bands on skier left, we traverse left and find ourselves on a steep face above Old Mammoth road.  The sun had finally reached this exposure and the top inch was cream on a firm surface.  It's corn cranking and hollerin on the sun drenched slopes.  The descent was quick and our signatures sure looked great. It was only a third mile skin back to Lake Mary road and a short descent to our camper.  The Sherwins have numerous lines and a car shuttle is the preferred approach for greater descents.

We headed back to Tub hot spring for a soak before heading south towards Bishop.  Zap
Zap - someone needs to buy you a digital camera.  I would love to compare snowpack with you.  Enjoy Bishop - here's a view of Tom 4/2/05 as you hit Tom's Place: a little eye candy for you to think about on the drive south.

View from our campsite:

Zap - someone needs to buy you a digital camera.... <snip>  

I second that, Zap.  It's a shame not to have such great travels chronicled in pictures.  
Nonetheless, I'm certainly happy for you and all your travels.  What a great way to spend winter and spring.  I wanna be just like you guys when I grow up!

MW8888, Thanks for the great photo of Mt. Tom.  The Rock Creek road is now open to Mosquito Flats, about 10,200' A great place to start skinning.

Ron, I do have a digital camera and have also used my video camera to film the trip's ascents,descents and surrounding terrain.  I just have been too lazy to learn how to post any of the photos.  Is there a Cliff Notes version on how to post photos ?  You have to remember that I am Polish :)

Zap

Reply to this TR

april-26-2005-the-sherwins
Zap
2005-04-26 18:17:45