Home > Forum > 1/28 Summit Central night pow

1/28 Summit Central night pow

• BrianT
  • [saxybrian]
More
30 Jan 2013 08:55 #218768 by BrianT
1/28 Summit Central night pow was created by BrianT
I normally don't ski on Mondays especially after skiing Thur-Sat with Sunday off (work). However, I read the forecast and kept seeing the inches add up. It started with 8 inches the day before, then 12, I woke up it was getting higher and higher. By the time I got off work, I came home debated it and the girlfriend said get out there, you'll regret it if you don't. At 6:15 I kissed her off as she headed to save lives at Harbor View and I headed the other direction towards certain cold and bad roads.

The pass was pretty busy and got really packed with Semi's just hanging out wherever they wanted to on the road at exit 42 and past. I saw several cars stuck in snow banks, 1 set of people pushing a car from behind in the middle of the HWY from the shoulder(Stupid?) Traffic seemed to slow down to about 30-35 and as I hit the west exit, I noticed several odd things.

1.) Car coming into on-coming traffic from the west exit.
2.) Snowplow heading the wrong way down on the shoulder blowing snow into the HWY.

I got past that and hit the parking lots of Central and started to smile as It didn't look like what I'm used to seeing. A nice groomed parking lot. Instead it was 8-12 inch deep tracks all across it and looked like a bad tracked out ski run. My eyes widen and I smiled.

I changed my lens out to my clear lens and headed up. Started off on CEX lift and went straight for the park to ski the not so much skied face. Had a blast, and heard more hoots/hollers and shouts than I've ever heard. I ended up going down the side of the half pipe between the 2 large jumps and got stuck in the snow. Being from Texas, I've never seen snow like this before so my eyes got wide, I smiled as I looked at the 2 ft of pow I was in and slowly skirted out onto the more 'groomed' canyon of snow back to the lift. I met up with a friend here and we hit up every run minus Holiday lift and, I can honestly say it was pretty amazing.

Park run - Really fun and tons of wind loaded snow on top of the skied tracks almost always leaving something fresh to ski.
Gold Nugget - Kinda bumpy but the side skied well and some fun little drops to be had for the 'intro to cliff dropping' that I'm teaching myself.
Alpine - Wow, really fun, the right side was wicked fun with the bump drops and the rock band drop onto the face proper.
Triple60- Bit tracked out, but still really fun to get some fun skiing in.
Rip-Chord - I think I had the most fun here, enough snow to drop off some of the tree area's a foot or two and really soft landing to work on that skill. Had a blast.
Parachute - Pretty much the worst run of the day, but still enough pow to shred and see flying when you turned.

After hitting tons of routes we went back to Alpine and I swear it was new tracks again. The high winds were covering the 'groomed' area's up with a few inches of new snow. Every run got better and better.

Wish the temps would have stayed warmer last night as I would have hit Alpental for some epic fun, however I think the epic pow we just had got screwed with the rain. /sigh always happens when it's close to the end of my work week.

Have a good one!
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 10:31 #218769 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: 1/28 Summit Central night pow
Nice bro! I kept debating all afternoon about heading up, and my wife and step son were in, but I was exhausted from the weekend plus thought Alpy was going to be bonus Tue morning (NOT).

So wish I headed up. Your report confirms it was probably the best skiing it will be all week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.