Home > Trip Reports > April 25, 2005, Red Cone Bowl,Mammoth Crest

April 25, 2005, Red Cone Bowl,Mammoth Crest

4/25/05
Posted by Zap on 4/26/05 10:12am
After spending the previous day lift skiing in 30 mph winds at Mammoth, we spent the early evening soaking at Wild Willy's Hot Spring just down the road from our campsite. It's located in a small stream and provides a great soaking environment.  As usual our plans for an early departure were delayed by extra caffeine infusions and resupplying water jugs.  Drove up Lake Mary Road near Mammoth and parked near Twin Lakes TH at 8700'. I just love these high traiheads.  The Tamarack XC center was closed for the season and we followed their trails to Lake Mary. When the XC center closes, the snowmobilers have access and we had a couple of snowboard/snowmobilers fly by us.  The skinning to Lake Mary then Lake George is relatively flat and time consuming. But the views are fabulous of Crystal Crag, Ships Prow, Blue Crag and the cliffs above Hollywood Bowl along the Mammoth Crest.  At Lake George, the terrain climbs steadily as you approach the Crest.  In the background we would periodically hear the snowmobiles but never did see them.  We continued to the ridge which separates Crystal Lake and Horsehoe and Mc Leod Lakes.  The ridge is tree lined and is extremely appealing. BUT once you reach the Crest and look into Red Cone Bowl, you start grinning and the climbing pace quickens.  The bowl is treeless and has the aestheitic entry point plus the cliff descents and "no turn" couloirs.  We chose the aesthetic entry and I had to go first because I have the video camera - right. The north facing slope was powder and provided effortless turns until the pitch eased.  Jill started barking and spooned my turns for half the slope then laid down her own signature.  WOW !

We then traversed skier left and weaved or way down corn and powder segments along a treed ridge to Horseshoe Lake.  We then initiated the kick n' glide routine to Lake Mamie then Lake Mary and finally slid along the Lake Mary road down to the camper at Twin Lakes.  It was a long tour due to the flat terrain to Lake Mary but the views and powder in Red Cone Bowl will linger a long time.  We decided to visit the popular Hot Creek hot springs near the hatchery.  This is probably the most popular and largest hot spring in the area.  Bathing suits are mandatory and you soak in the middle of a trout stream.  The hot spring bubbles up in the middle of a pool in the stream and the "soakers" circle the bubbling water about 5 to 10' away.  It's amusing to watch the soakers float around and become trapped by hot swirling currents then almost instantly engulfed by cold water.  It's a party environment and shuts down as the sun sets.  It's a good idea to wear sandals due the mucky bottom and the scattered hot rocks. It was an OK soak but a great people watching scene.  It's a full moon tonight and time to get back to our sagebrush home near Tub.  Zap
Zap, ZAP, this is utterly absurd!! You've been in the Sierra for like 2 months straight now -- how are you able to do this? Don't you have *some* sort of responsibity you must attend to?

It was a long tour due to the flat terrain to Lake Mary but the views and powder in Red Cone Bowl will linger a long time.
The views are still stuck in my head 3 years later. If you don't mind me adding a photo to your TR, the view of the Mammoth Crest on the ascent looks like this (w/o that Jeffey in the photo):

Although I remember the views and great turns in Red Cone bowl well, I didn't remember the approach being long. I guess my memory is selective :-).

Thanks for another excellent TR, and good write up of the hot spring too! So bathing suits were mandatory, huh? Keep up the reports!

Jeff

Jeff, Thanks for the photo of the Mammoth Crest.  It is a beautiful area.  I just compared notes of the trip with another mature skier and we agreed that it is a long slog.  But then we're 58 and 60 :)

After retiring 4 years ago, I have become irresponsible.  More people should retire early while they are still healthy and "above ground".  Jeff, I look forward to placing some signatures on a montain with you.  Zap

Hey Zap, retired is good, eh? I retired about 5 years ago as wel and enjoy skiing, mountain biking, backcountry, etc.

I am thinking of skiing something near TIoga on Tue and Wed. How are the conditions? Thinking of 3rd pillar or Ripper. Both East facing, but 3rd Pillar is more protected from the sun. Or Gibbs, East facing and in full sun.
Any beta will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rod

Rod, I have not been at the areas you mentioned.  I would suggest you start your tours at high trailheads. The south aspects are consolidated and the north aspects seem to be unconsolidated.  There is another system arriving Wednesday evening. Could be a powder day at Mammoth. :)

Listen to Howard S. weather forecast from  Mammoth on 106.5 FM at 7:50 am.He covers the Mammoth areaplus the Owens Valley.

Zap

Reply to this TR

april-25-2005-red-cone-bowl-mammoth-crest
Zap
2005-04-26 17:12:31