Home > Trip Reports > Jan 27, 2013, Jove Peak, South Face (pics added)

Jan 27, 2013, Jove Peak, South Face (pics added)

1/27/13
Posted by fwb on 1/28/13 5:49am
Jove Peak (6007€™) South Face.
Jan 27, 2013

We had a late start from Smith Brook (9am, c3160€™) with the plan of skiing Jove and maybe Union areas.  Another larger group would be following to the same area. Road had a fresh set of skin tracks in the new overnight snow.  Cutoff at the clearcut and up to Rainy Pass was hard crust in the tall timber.  From Rainy Pass down the road and clearcut no tracks, with very light snow depth varying 8-14€.  Road from SF Rainy Creek to WF sled packed and covered in 8-12€ new snow (11:30a, c3900€™).   Sled parked just past WF Rainy Creek and a single splitboard track through the re-growing clearcut.  Good 8€+ velvety snow in old clearcut. We crossed a single snowboard down track and split board up track stopped at edge of woods (c4950€™).  Set track up through woods, 4-8€ light powder over hard crust.  Open areas deep light snow with some spots over 18€ as measured by Jack the four legged snow depth checker.  The gray skies started to engulf Jove peak and it started snowing light snow.  Luckily temps were well below freezing (low twenties).

Started gaining ridge on more open terrain west of east saddle.  Performed several slough tests with no reactions.  Hasty check showed 11€ snow over a soft 1 ½€ crust layer, 3€ snow below that to hard consolidated surface.  We gained ridge at 5700€™ for a break and to bundle up.  Strong winds (west c15+mph?) from the west and greater snow fall.  Before gaining the ridge, the group behind us was visible starting up out of the timber to ridge.  We headed into the wind up the east ridge for the final 300€™ to the summit.  South facing slope was windswept with accumulations 4-6€ over hard crust. 

Carla and Jack on Jove Peak

A 16€+ old crown was visible at the final West summit ridge.  Jove summit (6007€™) was 12-18€ deep in snow.  North slopes in the lee filled in with ample windswept snow.  West and SW slopes were bare to very hard icy crust.  The sound of a sled racing around could be heard far below.  Jack (four legged friend on loan) could hear something far down the east ridge. We figure about 2 ½ hours to return our route in and with conditions it promised the best skiing.

Jack... the race is on...

We left the summit at 2:04p.  Performed a series of aggressive cuts on the upper south slope with no sliding results.  The huge open upper south face was inviting, but given layers and that it went through a gulley and ended in a seemingly flat area far from the road turned our interest to better options in the woods.  A downward traverse to c5750 then down open areas in the forest of seemingly bottomless powder. 

Carla caught me doing a depth test

We leap frogged, while Jack bounded.  I think he had more fun that we did if that was at all possible.  A short spot of feeling the crust under the powder bringing us into the re-growing clearcut to loosely follow our uptrack for the last of the 2100€™ stellar run to the road (FSRD 6700).  It took about 2 ¼ hrs up and 25 minutes down. 

Jack is smiling

Less than an hour of easy skinning brought us back to Rainy Pass for a break.  We took a slow glide down the Smith Brook  road to give Jack a break from running.  A few more turns cutting two switchbacks and a slow glide out passing several groups of snowshoers returning from Lichtenwasser Lake.

A normal long line of cars (only two with sled trailers) parked along the road when we returned (3:55p). 
Much better snow and conditions than expected.  Oh, and thanks JM for the report last week to spur checking out this slope.

Stats: 12.25m, 6h55min, +/-4340

I€™ll add some pictures when I download them and post a full tr on my website.

Happy turns!
Franklin

Reply to this TR

jan-27-2013-jove-peak-south-face-pics-added
fwb
2013-01-28 13:49:20