Home > Trip Reports > January 21, 2013, Mt Baker b.c., Mt. Herman

January 21, 2013, Mt Baker b.c., Mt. Herman

1/21/13
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Vince Lamphier on 1/24/13 1:08pm
    Steve, Ry, Calvin, and I  started hiking out around 9:30 AM. heading for the col where Mazama Bowl and Mt Herman come together. It was a warm hike out with the sun baking on us. The snow was variable, real nice and fluffy in spots and then spots that were pure bulletproof. We reached the col around noon and did the 30' rock climb to the top of the rock on the south side of the col. That was a challenge but very satisfying in the end. The whole day made for great photographs. We talked to some guys earlier and they warned us of staying on the right track back there (the N. side of Herman or end up getting cliffed out. We got into some precarious situations but having my GPS  with me, we were able to access the area fairly easily. The snow on the way down was similar to on the way up with a lot of variable conditions but a little more on the not so fun for some side. There were some guys from another party complaining about snow conditions on the way out. Myself I enjoy it all (almost). I know if we would have went down the south side we would of had some great corn but not as good of an adventure.  We dropped down into a v shaped creek ravine and hiked back to the parking lot, arriving at 3:30. A great day for sure.

More pics here

Vince, that does not look like creamy dreamy pow/corn!  Been the same over here, but the sun above the inversion makes any trip worth the effort. thanks for the TR and pictures.

Nice pics and report.  Not that this has anything to do with your trip Vince, but I had a friend nearly get buried on herman yesterday (not true summit, but the smaller peak most folks ski facing the ski area).  I wasn't there, so I don't know all of the details.  I'm sure everyone is being careful out there, but remember that sunny days != stability (duh).  I do know that he was riding alone, and got flushed down face first and pushed out the end of the slide.  He was able to self-extricate.

Different aspects on different mountains will have vastly varying stability profiles with the recent weather.  Anyways...

"I'm sure everyone is being careful out there ..... I do know that he was riding alone"  ???

Joke, I'm glad your friend is ok.

Yesterday was a pretty picture perfect example of when to not go skiing solo (IMO). Various buried sun crusts and surface hoars, wind, and insolation . No, it hadn't just dumped 3 feet of new storm snow, but all of the components were there. Again, I'm glad he lucked out.

... Darwin says...

author=joke link=topic=27172.msg114540#msg114540 date=1359162373]
Nice pics and report.  Not that this has anything to do with your trip Vince, but I had a friend nearly get buried on herman yesterday (not true summit, but the smaller peak most folks ski facing the ski area).  I wasn't there, so I don't know all of the details.  I'm sure everyone is being careful out there, but remember that sunny days != stability (duh).  I do know that he was riding alone, and got flushed down face first and pushed out the end of the slide.  He was able to self-extricate.

Different aspects on different mountains will have vastly varying stability profiles with the recent weather.  Anyways...
Thanks for the advice Joke.  It's always good to check yourself. I'm glad your friend is OK. (how freaky). I try to be as vigilant as possible with the NWAC report and my own observations on the way out, but I definitely appreciate any advice on staying alive. It would be great to tour with you some time.

Love the first picture and the view of Shuksan. Makes all the lines of the NW side look extra gnarly... which they are!

???
author=T. Eastman link=topic=27172.msg114559#msg114559 date=1359188612]
... Darwin says...

For the past several days I have been mulling over your comment and in the end I must say that I am a little surprised that Marcus didn't delete your comment.  Your comment is not in the right spirit.  What are you trying to imply? That natural selection culls out the weak and genetically inferior?  The guy is an idiot or retarded somehow because he went skiing alone? How self righteous you are to comment so forcefully on someone else's decisions and risk tolerance.  You are either a young child who doesn't know any better  or and old guy who has learned nothing.  Darwin likely had something to say about you.  In fact, Darwin likely would have had something to say about all backcountry users as he himself would likely have never ducked under a rope in the first place.  Give 'yer head a shake.   

author=zestysticks link=topic=27172.msg114677#msg114677 date=1359412475]
What are you trying to imply? That natural selection culls out the weak and genetically inferior?  The guy is an idiot or retarded somehow because he went skiing alone?

I agree that the comment was not in good taste, but I don't think he was trying to imply any genetic or mental inferiority, just that skiers with that level of risk acceptance are the ones who often end up in accident reports. Maybe his comment would have been better as "... statistics show ..."

author=zestysticks link=topic=27172.msg114677#msg114677 date=1359412475]
???
For the past several days I have been mulling over your comment and in the end I must say that I am a little surprised that Marcus didn't delete your comment.  Your comment is not in the right spirit.  What are you trying to imply? That natural selection culls out the weak and genetically inferior?  The guy is an idiot or retarded somehow because he went skiing alone? How self righteous you are to comment so forcefully on someone else's decisions and risk tolerance.  You are either a young child who doesn't know any better  or and old guy who has learned nothing.  Darwin likely had something to say about you.  In fact, Darwin likely would have had something to say about all backcountry users as he himself would likely have never ducked under a rope in the first place.  Give 'yer head a shake.   

To be fair - my friend is kind of an idiot. ;)

Didn't see it, zestysticks -- you can feel free to PM me, Jim or Ron if you want to get in touch with us about something.

And yeah, drive-by comments like that don't really add anything, in my opinion.  Glad your friend is okay, joke.

author=joke link=topic=27172.msg114772#msg114772 date=1359500899]
To be fair - my friend is kind of an idiot. ;)

That's gracious.  I like to think there is a real sense of community amongst backcountry folk.  That being said I probably over- reacted.  I think I may have been bullied as a small child so maybe I have unresolved issues.  Time to move on.

Reply to this TR

january-21-2013-mt-baker-b-c-mt-herman
Vince Lamphier
2013-01-24 21:08:06