Home > Trip Reports > April 23, Muir

April 23, Muir

4/15/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by andyski on 4/25/05 11:06am
Seeing as no one else has seen fit to expose the sufferfest that was Sat. on the snowfield, here goes:
Arrived at Paradise lot @ around 9:30a. to warm rain that had started a bit before the Nisqually entrance and a busy scene. Rain scattered as I skinned up in mush to Pan Point. Lots of groups/clinics on the hill.
Skinned 3/4, booted the rest of Pan. Above, strong gusts altered balance, but gave hope for shallower mush. Visibility appeared to be good until just below Anvil rock, though it was quite variable. Above about 7,500 ft., the top inch or so of snow shaved into something like dense powder when clipped with a ski edge. There were also shallow pockets of wind-deposited newish snow here and there, providing hope for good turns.
It was not to be. I stopped a bit above 8,500 when the snow hardened and became more wind-effected. Wind-driven snow was playing with visibility, and some very ominous looking clouds were moving in from the east. Turns on the windboard were OK, but the windblown I sought out was surprisingly sticky, as was EVERYTHING else. Made halting progress with burning quads as the snow positively grabbed at my skis. Descent of Pan in thick oatmeal just ahead of the weather finished me off. This was one of those times that the hike was the highlight. There's something really fun about being on the mountain 'in weather,' especially when you know you can get out. Steady rain returned below Alta Vista. At least the coverage was good and the forecast bodes well for better snow (melt/freeze please!) for the weekend and the Silver Skis! :)
. . . the sufferfest that was Sat. on the snowfield . . .

:D

When we arrived back at the Paradise lot at dusk in a driving rain on Saturday eve, Amar Andalkar's comment was, "I think I can honestly say that was the worst skiing I've ever experienced . . . "

Reply to this TR

april-23-muir
andyski
2005-04-25 18:06:33