Home > Trip Reports > April 23-24, 2005, Mt Shuksan via Sulphide

April 23-24, 2005, Mt Shuksan via Sulphide

4/23/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Matt C on 4/24/05 11:48pm
After skiing from the summit ridge last year in prime conditions I was motivated to return. Unfortunately, this time conditions were less than spectacular. By the time we made it to the notch (where we decided to camp) we had lost two of our members...Grant had sliced his hand open on his ski...later we found out it required a few internal and extrenal stitches.

It rained during the night...with some gusty warm winds. We woke early hoping things had frozen higher up. Interesting weather...heavy clouds filled the valleys below...and we were right on the edge of a higher elevation disturbance. To the east were dark storm clouds, while clearer skies were to the west. The ski up to the summit pyramid was quick in crusty snow (although below the crust was unconsolidated mush). We decided not to ski the summit pyramid due to sketchy snow...which made for an easy climb with no packs. Weather moved in by the time we started to ascend...snow was soft the whole way up the chute. Weather briefly cleared at the summit.

The sun was shining for our survival ski down the Sulphide in wet, grabby glop. Maybe next year will be better...
Ahhh, too bad Matt, but I could have told you those would be the conditions... Last years stellar trip still enters my mind frequently....Velvet corn from top to bottom! Sounds like the Pyramid was in easier shape than last time...A little less intense?

It was too bad you couldn't join us Toby...hopefully you'll make a trip real soon! We could have used your Brunton Weather Instrument (have you purchased that wind gage yet?!?!?!). VELVET is a great description of the conditions last year...perfection. The summit climb was much less intense this year...perfect pigeon holing snow. This time we went straight up to the summit ridge via a narrow snow chute...instead of veering left. Next year we should circumnavigate the summit pyramid...I'm sure you'd be up for that!?!?

That wind guage is on your list, buddy! Remember Heliotrope with 70mph? Plus, your rich and drive a ferrari. I am collecting photos for circumnavigation, I'll show them to you soon...

Reply to this TR

april-23-24-2005-mt-shuksan-via-sulphide
Matt C
2005-04-25 06:48:56