Home > Trip Reports > Powder Days: Mid January 2013

Powder Days: Mid January 2013

1/15/13
Posted by powhound on 1/22/13 11:59pm

Mid January 2013 in the Cascades.

A wet then cold storm brought rain and wet avalanches, followed by a cold series of storms that left up to a foot of light powder on top of rain crusts and avalanche debris to the Cascades. This was followed by a long ridge of high pressure that brought cold temperatures and clear skies. The snow pack was variable to say the least.

The Bryant couloir, a traverse on the ridge from high campbell to gold hills with various descents, and a day trip to lane peak where Leyland, Jonny, and I hit the Fly, Zipper, and Lovers Lane couloirs in a day were all had. Each time we hoped for good stashes of snow, which we found...but there was plenty of bad to go with it. The sketchy conditions kept us riding and skiing cautiously, and even forced me to down climb the top few hundred feet of lovers lane strapped in to my snowboard with an ice axe due to the icy conditions.

Hooray for more storms on the horizon!

https://vimeo.com/57998257
mixin it up again... i love the variety in your videos (even if this time it was both the geography and conditions that spanned the full range).

nice job on lane... i know you've been eyeing that all season.  at this rate we better think up some new objectives fast!

Damn, I am jealous! I've been eyeing Lane for a while. Looks like it was a fun day.

Thanks Ben. Unfortunately that trip didn't take it off the hit list....it just made me want to go back when there's deep stable snow so I can point it. ;)

rad couloirs!
glad to see the venture is getting the goods.

Nicely done on the videos!  I found myself leaning into the turns, and cringing from the rock walls.  Cool terrain!

Reply to this TR

powder-days-mid-january-2013
powhound
2013-01-23 07:59:52