Home > Trip Reports > April 24, 2005, Windy Pass - Silver Peak

April 24, 2005, Windy Pass - Silver Peak

4/24/05
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by moeglisse on 4/24/05 11:17pm
The melt out up at Snoqualmie Pass has happened rather quickly this year.  I took my truck up the road to Windy Pass and pioneered it through the shaded snow covered sections.  I made it to within a couple hundred yards of the pass (about El 3,760') and started skinning from there for Silver Peak.  I was surprised that the conditions were not the bottomless mashed potatoes that I thought it would be.  In fact, my dog was crusing around on top of it nicely.  I got up on top around 7PM just in time for the clouds to roll in.  The snow was a bit sticky on the way down but firm under the top two-inches of slop.  I had some good turns and the snow wasn't sliding at all even on the steepest aspects I skied (about 30-35 degrees).

I checked out the line down to Annette Lake and it looked very doable.  There are a few exposed scree fields but there is at least one continuous line down that looks like it has adequate coverage.  I'm going back to ski it this evening.  I don't think that line is going to last for long especially with the forecast looking so warm this week.

Anyway, for some good easy access from Snoqualmie Pass Silver Peak is going off right now.  I put in a couple good tire ruts to follow through the snow on the road but I would advise a 4X4 with good clearance at this point since the ruts are pretty deep in spots.  Bon-Ski  
Damn, how bout that!

Whoo-hoo!! Go get it buddy.

We thought briefly about that tour as we headed eastward toward a longer trudge to snow (albeit with many avalanche lillies to see, beautiful as they mocked our timing) at Bean Creek Basin, but kept on driving. I salute you for exploring FR 9070 to discover that it is in typical early June condition! It's kind of nice to avoid the slog up the ski area and over Nordic Pass, eh?

Seriously ,I wish I was in the area this week I'd do this tour and take in the clustersmozzel up at Muir Snowfield.

Reply to this TR

april-24-2005-windy-pass-silver-peak
moeglisse
2005-04-25 06:17:25