Home > Trip Reports > January 19-20, 2013, Mt. Shasta

January 19-20, 2013, Mt. Shasta

1/19/13
US elsewhere
Posted by skier8484 on 1/21/13 11:14am
After an awesome ski on McLoughlin two days prior Mt. Shasta was the next logical choice on my high pressure road trip.  Crashed at the Bunny Flats TH, planning on a late start to setup camp at Helen Lake.  Around 7 AM my peaceful slumber was ended by three Portland hipsters discussing their career paths ("I think I'm either going to be an Art Professor or just homestead").  This made it easy to pack up quickly and begin the mellow skin to camp.  The weather was pleasant and consolidated snow made the slog to Helen Lake very pleasant.

Almost to the lake:

After setting up camp afternoon corn came calling my name, so I skinned/booted to a cool looking notch above camp and enjoyed a fun 1,500 descent into the gulley below Helen Lake.

I enjoyed an amazing sunset with the two other groups camping.  No wind and warm temps made for a very enjoyable evening. 

Figuring it wasn't going to soften until after noon, a late start and 12 hours of sleep was in order.  Finally got to bootpacking around 9 AM and found perfect styrofoamy snow up AG making progress quick. 

The snow near the summit was quite rimey, making for a interesting descent to below Misery Hill.

Stoked to be on the summit in winter!

Clicked in just below the summit and survival skied the upper slopes.  Had to play rock slalom to below Misery Hill.  I skied the large gully skiers right of Avalanche Gulch where I found progressively softening, very smooth snow.  The top rollover was pretty firm making for some fun turns up high.  Ripping to lower slopes to camp reminded me of the SW Chutes on Adams.  Napped out at the Lake for a bit and packed up and skied fun soft proto corn (hampered slightly by tired legs and heavy pack) back to the parking lot to cap off a great winter ski that felt more like early summer!

A great trip in winter.   ;)

Looks like a great trip.

Regarding:
three Portland hipsters discussing their career paths ("I think I'm either going to be an Art Professor or just homestead")

Is "homesteading" the new vernacular for living in a van down by the river?

Reply to this TR

january-19-20-2013-mt-shasta
skier8484
2013-01-21 19:14:28