Home > Trip Reports > January 19, 2013, Mt. Kent

January 19, 2013, Mt. Kent

1/19/13
Posted by Troy on 1/21/13 9:34am
Great day on Mt. Kent.  I approached from the north, passing by the east face of McClellan and wrapping around Kent to ski its east aspect.  Huge slide paths from McClellan crossed my route which make this a bad place to be if the snow is unstable.

Snow near the top was cooked just a little with the top few inches soft and slushy.  Good turning.  Near the middle of the descent on a north aspect that seemed to be always in shadow, I found several inches of sugary powder over a crust.  Enough powder to mostly float my skis.  Great turning.

During the ascent I saw some of the biggest snow crystals I've ever seen.  Heard some minor rock fall during the trip.  Many of the big slide paths had slid but not all.

3 photos attached, all are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111955726492601080503/Kent_20130119?authkey=Gv1sRgCPePn9rbjbjcJQ#

Cheers.
Dang! Those are some big crystals!

Creative!!!  I snowshoed that route many years ago when frozen and never got back with the skis.  We dubbed it "the corkscrew" route.  Thanks for reminding me how worth it it can be.  i remember a few giant Douglas fir trees in the valley floor.  Could you skin from the road that the summer trail crosses?
Thanks,
John

author=John Morrow link=topic=27118.msg114265#msg114265 date=1358867362]
Creative!!!  I snowshoed that route many years ago when frozen and never got back with the skis.  We dubbed it "the corkscrew" route.  Thanks for reminding me how worth it it can be.  i remember a few giant Douglas fir trees in the valley floor.  Could you skin from the road that the summer trail crosses?
Thanks,
John

You're welcome.  Yes, I did see a few massive trees.  I hope you can get up there too for some turns.  This was my first time seeing a mountain that was not in any of my guidebooks and making a fun tour out of it.  I'd like to get back and do a bunch of laps near the top.

I was able to skin the entire route except near the summit where I crossed a suspect slope using crampons and ice ax.  I wanted to travel exactly near anchors and in shadow, just for maybe 75 vertical feet.  Shortly after getting off the road I put on ski crampons to help with the hard snow under the trees.  A screenshot of my route is attached.

I tried this last year and was able to drive all the way to Alice Creek but had to do some hiking and a little bushwhacking.  On Saturday I had a road ski but once I got there it was a treat to be able to keep my skis on almost the entire time.

Cheers.

Reply to this TR

january-19-2013-mt-kent
Troy
2013-01-21 17:34:19