Home > Trip Reports > April 23, 2005, Coleman Pinnacle

April 23, 2005, Coleman Pinnacle

4/23/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ema on 4/24/05 8:53pm
short summary: pretty bad skiing - combination of grabby snow and having to stick to very mellow slopes on account of wet slides - but outrageously nice weather and views.  

acres and acres of slush to be found at mt baker. cliffs on s side of table mountain had sluffed mightily during the previous days, the debris had already started to melt off; but saw one mighty crown where the debris had run further down the valley then i've ever seen it. on the good side, some snow consolidation had occured, poles would not go in deeper than a third in most places.  anything steepish started slush rivulets which would go on and on and on. during the day, one big avalanche swept down from the btw n side of table and herman saddle and crossed the valley bottom, almost starting up the other side.
I was up Friday afternoon to scout out a chute we had been looking at for a few years -- the only skiable chute off the Mazama Plateau between Alasken Amber
(The Upper Hourglass) and Herman Saddle. It is usually blocked by a cornice at the top, but I figured that the cornice might have softened enough to allow entry to one whose skies never leave the snow.  By 6 PM I had skinned to the bottom and booted 1/3 the way up.  I decided that the slope was too slushy to ski that afternoon, but it looked good for the morning.

I slept in the upper lot, and by 8 AM Rod and I were staring up the chute.  It had slid to rock during the night.  I felt vindicated in last night's decision to bail! We skied a chute of similar aspect below, and stepped aside half way down to let the whole danged thing slowly flow into the valley below!

We went back to the ski area and skied groomers for the afternoon!

Reply to this TR

april-23-2005-coleman-pinnacle
ema
2005-04-25 03:53:25