Home > Trip Reports > 1/19 Gunn Peak - just shoot me.

1/19 Gunn Peak - just shoot me.

1/19/13
Posted by savegondor on 1/20/13 9:21am
if I fail to remember that damn logging road next time I think about tackling this B*&"$ please just shoot me.  Gunn Pk 2 as I like to call it continually eludes me due to it's difficult approach and my lack of planning.  and it's only getting harder to nail it as the logging road continues to deteriorate.  i'm wondering if wta has this road on their lists of trail improvements now that it's in the new Wild Sky Wilderness (at least I think it is).  I'm also guessing it's why it'd probably be illegal for me to take a saw to the approach and make it more skinnable. 

I made this attempt a couple years ago and then someone on this forum went and bagged it the next day or weekend.  props to you whoever you were, you are greater than I.  Still though it's on my list of VERTICAL MONSTERS within striking distance of Seattle.  as my ski mountaineering improves I hope to establish or bag the following. 

Anyone interested in this new club?  please feel free to add and edit routes you've skied or plan to or know of: http://goo.gl/maps/ZPJbg
Chainsaw no,  handsaw should be OK within wilderness,  maintaining a pre-existing trail.

I love the map. Thanks for posting. Have to try some of these out.

Gunn peak 2.. also known as gunn shy, officially the high poinf of jump off ridge.

Still to date one of my favorite local decents!

It was my partner leyland and I that skied it a week after your suggestion. Thank you much. too bad you couldnt join us then. The road wasnt so bad two yeras ago, and i rember floating all the way back to the index galena rd. Fairly easily.

Thought about doing it during this high pressure. I went up the forrest road to heybrook a few days ago and the snow was fairly deep. Thought it might go well. So thanks again. This time for persuading me NOT to go.

Did the road have snow on it? The vertical on that thing surprised me when i did it. Little bit of annoying cliff terrain to get through just beyond your photo.

yes plenty of snow all the way down to 800 feet elevation.  a couple of creek crossings.  and three major tree falls.  not actually THAT bad.  but i did get impaled a couple times on the way down.  if we get high pressure again I'm game to try it again.  if it's legal i'd totally clear this sucker this coming summer. 

scott, what time did you start when you did it?

8 am.  Back at 630. I remeber we werent carrying a very fast pace either..

I figured if I ever did it again I would start three hours sooner and have time to ride more.

Snow on all the unplowed roads in the wild sky right now. Mostly a foot or two. Funny. We where parked just down the road from you at the washout all weekend. did a little tour through the wild sky too.

My place has a view of Jumpoff, Gunn, and Baring.  I can't wait to get up there and do some exploring!  Thanks for posting.

funny thing I was staring at that logging road on a map last week wondering if it was a brilliant or stupid idea...  If you need a partner next time shoot me a pm.

Reply to this TR

1-19-gunn-peak-just-shoot-me
savegondor
2013-01-20 17:21:38