Home > Trip Reports > Jan 17, 2013, Foolish ski on Fools Day Pk. 5203'

Jan 17, 2013, Foolish ski on Fools Day Pk. 5203'

1/17/13
Posted by John Morrow on 1/17/13 8:48am
Well, oppressive fog/clouds over town was enough to motivate to climb above it even if I guessed the skiing would be less than ideal.  It was worse!
I drove the Salmon La Sac road out of Roslyn and parked at the French Cabin Snowpark.  Then I skinned up, shortcutting the switchbacks of the French Cabin Road through occassionally annoying vine maple and breakable crust.   The real climbing started on the north side of Fools Day, leaving the Thorp Creek Road about 1/2 mile from the French Cabin Junction.  Skinning in the forest sucked, bullet proof drip zone without crampons for traction.  Finally I gained the open north slope hoping for powder but none to be had.  Too low, I guess even in the shade of a steep north aspect.

OK, gain the east ridge then for some more enjoyable skinning, which it was, onward to the top.

Fantastic views up there for such a minor summit!

Now to ski.  Knowing the north side would have been hell I tried the SW ridge to a glade that nearly reaches the valley floor.  First turns were great in a mock corn but then it went to deep doo doo.  Breakable crust, no crust just deep mank, and icy firm all within seconds of one another depending on sun/shade.  I really knew better to be so humbled now.  A low peak east of the crest is not where to be right now!

I was happy just to get down!
The frozen groomed French Cabin Road was fast. homeward!

Some pretty pictures of the area at least!  Snoqualmie Crest peaks, Stuarts, etc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@N03/sets/72157632549610096/

Reply to this TR

jan-17-2013-foolish-ski-on-fools-day-pk-5203
John Morrow
2013-01-17 16:48:56