Home > Forum > April 16,17,23,24, 2005 Whistler Ski Area

April 16,17,23,24, 2005 Whistler Ski Area

• silaswild
  • [silaswild]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Apr 2005 17:29 - 22 Dec 2011 18:15 #211914 by silaswild
Got two seasons in two weekends, great winter powder the 16th and 17th, Blackcomb closing weekend.  Lessons and tickets were half price, so I tried both.  Peak and Harmony chairs were closed Saturday, so they had great untracked routes when they opened Sunday.  Both days produced stormy mornings and clearing after 2PM.  Tercel Townhouse room 1986 helped keep costs down.

April 23 was great courderoy corn for the first hour and a half, sunny weather all week without freezing even at the top of the mountain had made the snow mushy, but the night of the 22nd finally got sub zero C temps.  Fred Beckey was sighted with ski boots and poles in the parking lot that morning, no skis though.  The 24th started out warm and gray with rain sprinkles, again no freezing all the way up the mountain.  Snow was very sticky providing good learning opportunities for the class, then weather cleared after 2PM like last week.

Other than skiing, I suggest the $10 dozen fresh oysters at Barefoot Bistro before 7PM, and the $30 three course French dinner at Val d'Isere.

Over the four days I probably skied nearly as much vertical with my Crossbows as I have on all my backcountry trips this season combined.  Lessons ranged from a waste of money to great fun and informative, primarily dependent on the group.  Instructors all were top notch.  Hopefully investment in training will make me a far better carpenter than all the new tools I feel compelled to buy.

Mother Nature, please bring on the  May Cascades Corn Harvest Festival.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.