Home > Forum > Request for info, Humphrey's Peak, Arizona

Request for info, Humphrey's Peak, Arizona

• dkoelle
  • [dkoelle]
More
24 Apr 2005 16:06 #171638 by dkoelle
Hello, I am looking for anyone who has skied on this mountain. From what I have been able to find out, this 12,600 peak is above Arizona Snow Bowl near Flagstaff. The ski area iteslf goes from about 8,900 to 11,300. It looks like a typical southwestern "island in the sky" with an above tree-line, broad, low-angle trek to the summit. They had stupendous snow this year and closed with a 70 inch base around April 17. A webcam points to a snowy zone all above tree-line. People do ski it and I have a work trip coming up to the area. Any experience out there? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
24 Apr 2005 16:41 #171639 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Request for info, Humphrey's Peak, Arizona
There used to be several threads about this on Telemarktips.com, but I think all were lost in the recent hack. If you haven't already, you might want to post your query there after using the search function.

• MW88888888
  • [MW88888888]
More
24 Apr 2005 18:43 - 24 Apr 2005 18:54 #171640 by MW88888888
Replied by MW88888888 on topic Re: Request for info, Humphrey's Peak, Arizona
Humphrey's is a great ski descent with easy access and a variety of challenge.  <br><br>I visited the area in February of 1996 in a poor year when the ski area was not open.  This proved a good thing as it allowed us to walk directly up the snow covered trails to the saddle between Mt Agazzi (sp ? - whatever the mountain that the ski area is situated on) and Humphrey's.  Wind had scoured the col so skiing above here would not have been possible.  However, the bowls leading over the col down the East side - magnifique! Views of the Painted Desert and the rolling terrrain down to the sage was very enticing.<br><br>The mountain is big and I enjoyed the use of my ice axe and crampons on the narrow summit ridge scramble and the occassional rock scramble to get from the col to the summit the year I climbed it.  I'm sure in a good year, like this year, you may have a shot at skiing from the col to the Summit continuosly and this would have been stellar.  Views from the 12,600' peak down on the Grand Canyon to the north and the mountains to the south are unique and well worth the climb.<br><br>My descent started down at the col and I found dicey steep hardpack down to the gentle corn runs of the closed ski area trails.  Lots of fun on the return ski right to the car and the fun and games of a ski area parking lot to boot!<br><br>So, all that said, in this year of all years for snow in the SW you might find enought snow for a ski down the coveted Mt Agassiz =&gt; Flagstaff run - who knows?  I'd do it so you could tell your kids.  <br><br>Whatever you find, bring your skis (or board)!  You will be kicking yourself when you see all that juicy terrain set out in the desert oasis and you haven't brought your guns!  

More
25 Apr 2005 03:30 #171645 by Pinch
MW88888 offers good info. This area is beautiful ski terrain with enough snow, which would be the case this year. The eastern facing terrain from the col and up each ridge to either side of the col is some of the best terrain. Beautiful views too! Take your skis (or board).

• dkoelle
  • [dkoelle]
More
27 Apr 2005 11:06 #171664 by dkoelle
Thank you very much, '8888888 and Toby. Here is the webcam that you can "take control" and use the pre-set to point it at the Peaks. Looks snowy and white! David K.<br><br>www.arizonasnowbowl.com/interior/winteractivities/liveimage.htm

• OldHouseMan
  • [OldHouseMan]
More
27 Apr 2005 12:54 #171665 by OldHouseMan
Replied by OldHouseMan on topic Re: Request for info, Humphrey's Peak, Arizona
That camera is kind of fun.