Home > Trip Reports > April 24, 2005, The Palmer, Mt Hood

April 24, 2005, The Palmer, Mt Hood

4/24/05
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 4/24/05 6:48am
During the past work week Portland was treated to beautiful blue skies and warm weather everyday causing me to promise myself I'd be skiing in perfectly sunny weather on perfect corn this weekend. It didn't happen. Saturday's plans were cancelled due to the inclement forecast. Today the forecast was also poor, but not as bad as Saturday, and it being the last day of the weekend we were desperate. Timberline seemed like the best option, Meadows is still open and we've gone practically mad skinning thru there. Newton Creek was another option but with the warm weather and rain, we were concerned about the avy hazard. Any other low-elevation tour option didn't have adequate snow (and never really has this season).

It was overcast for most of the drive up, though there were a few brief moments were we could see more of the mountain then the moment before. At Tline the sky was still mostly overcast but it , . As we ascended we had the pleasure of watching several parties of Mazamas march up the mountain. These groups were all within about 8 inches of the person in-front of them. They were also carrying ropes, despite that going to the summit at the time was practically laughable. Further impressive was their pace. Their pace was extremely consistent though it happened to be at speed, to put it euphemistically, that I wasn't aware humans could travel and still make forward progress (do not infer derision from these remarks -- I think it's great the Mazamas introduce people to the mountains). Towards the top several of our skins started glopping badly.

Once we reached the top of the Palmer and started to de-skin the visibility went into the absolutely horrible category, despite it being marginal (the "best" on today's 3-point scale) moments before. The wind was also strong. Due to the non-existent visibility we headed towards the lift and skied the groomer right next to it. Almost immediately Andy's

] . We headed to Ann and Andy's house were we ate
This is really a funny trip report Jeff.  I'm still laughing!

It was good to get out after yesterday's rain.  Hopefully next weekend will be sunny.

Have they groomed the Palmer above the Magic Mile?  Last I was there it was wind-whipped and very rough.  Every time I go out I think do I need to carry a pound of repair pieces for my G-3's?  Guess I'll keep doing it.
The Mazamas sound more regimental than the Seattle Mountaineers.  Nice report.

bill

Bill, there was a strip of snow right next to the lift that was groomed recently. The rest of the snowfield didn't seem like it had been groomed in the past few days or week. They were (surprisingly) operating the Palmer lift.

Andy, do you think the Mazamas have made it back to Timberline yet? ;-)

Not sure about the Mazamas but this is the second time this year I've had a cable on my G-3's fail.  This is the third full season on them and they probably have about 100 - 120 days on them.  The first time the cable was replaced for free by G-3 though.  Before this season I had never had any problems.  

Maybe I'm just seeing things in the fog but it looked like Timberline had made ridges in the snow on a good portion of Palmer to try and catch snow for the summer.

Nice pictures too, Jeff.

There was about 8 people per party and they hiked in a perfectly straight line all within about 8 inches of the person in-front of them.

Clearly this must have been for some tactical advantage.

http://www.tourdegeorgia.com/2005/images/homepage_photo.jpg

Clearly this must have been for some tactical advantage.

Yes, both the Mazamas and the Mountaineers teach uphill drafting as a means of conserving energy on long ascents.  Why, many's the time I've snuck in behind Ron Jarvis and let the vortex created by his passing tow me bodily up the mountain. It's even better when he's breaking trail at the same time (as he so often does).  

Yes, both the Mazamas and the Mountaineers teach uphill drafting as a means of conserving energy on long ascents.  Why, many's the time I've snuck in behind Ron Jarvis and let the vortex created by his passing tow me bodily up the mountain. It's even better when he's breaking trail at the same time (as he so often does).  

:) Yeah, I'm a trail breaking fool, allright  :)
There must be a clone out there some where 'cause all I recall is doing what you say you do, Mark.
The only travel technique I claim any expertise in is the classic "out fumble".  Almost certain to get someone else breaking trail.
Well we'll be down there on Sunday filling up the Silcox again this year.  Let's see if we can tune up some of these tools while we are there.  Had a pretty good time practicing Saturday, Eh?
Hope Jeffey left us some snow on the Palmer while we were up at Paradise working up tails off  :D

Reply to this TR

april-24-2005-the-palmer-mt-hood
Jeff Huber
2005-04-24 13:48:44