Home > Trip Reports > January 11 Kootenay Pass

January 11 Kootenay Pass

1/11/13
Posted by KW on 1/15/13 9:26am
The second stop on my Powder Highway tour was to beautiful Kootenay Pass. This high elevation highway connects the eastern interior from the Kootenays. With slide paths all around it is an intimidating drive knowing that they routinely cover the road with avalanche debris.

Today was one of those days that they were using helicopters to blast away at the pass. Thankfully the ski touring is removed from these areas and we were able to piece together a fine tour.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8379650358_54c47fbc9e.jpg" />

The sun was out in all its glory masking the frigid -15c day. Warming our sun starved coastal souls lapped runs till the sun set.

More Photo's and full write up here powdergangster.ca
That's a great area.  Did you go north or south? 

We made a quick powder stop there a few years ago.  Wish we had more time...

What do you think of those bighorn maps?  Pretty useful?

author=trees4me link=topic=27027.msg113893#msg113893 date=1358310473]
That's a great area.  Did you go north or south? 

We made a quick powder stop there a few years ago.  Wish we had more time...

What do you think of those bighorn maps?  Pretty useful?

It is a pretty awesome area I drive through there for work a bunch of times during the year. First time I stopped.

We did both... Two laps south facing in the early part of the day we dropped as low as we could go and for the last run then ripped a steep north facing run back to the highway. Loved it so much my wife and I are changing our ski plans for next week to hit Kootenay Pass again.

As for the maps. I always like the ski specific maps. Bighorn ones are great as they have terrain photo's on the back which gives you an idea of the area. Combo that with a GPS and you can eliminate the guess work out of finding good skiing. I borrowed a buddys map that week but liked them so much bought the Whitewater,Kootenay Pass and the Rossland Range ones.

I have another post on the Rossland Range from this trip and  I might even like that area better than Kootenay Pass. Going back there next week too.....

Lots of skiing.

If you get the maps is there any reason to get the guide book, West Kootenay touring guide?

The photos are great.  Jill and I only skied the south side on a powder day.   ;)

author=khyak link=topic=27027.msg113902#msg113902 date=1358313434">
If you get the maps is there any reason to get the guide book, West Kootenay touring guide?

I have both the touring guide and the Chic Scott book Google book link $9.99

The question as to whether or not you need the guides outside the map is are you a info junkie like me or are you happy with just one piece of research. If you didn't want to spend $40 bucks to get everything I would just get the map. It has some great pics of each of the area's.

To be honest though it is almost impossible not to find skiing here you almost fall into it.

author=Zap link=topic=27027.msg113903#msg113903 date=1358314445]
The photos are great.  Jill and I only skied the south side on a powder day.   ;)

They never have powder in kootenay pass :) Move along nothing to see here. 

The sun made for easy photo taking. Thinking about carrying fluorescent spray paint on my ski tours to paint my ski partners clothing to many black jackets...

Reply to this TR

january-11-kootenay-pass
KW
2013-01-15 17:26:59