Home > Trip Reports > Jan 12 Mt. Hood

Jan 12 Mt. Hood

1/8/13
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Edgesport on 1/13/13 2:04pm
As predicted by NWAC very solid conditions.  Really sucked.... nothing to see here... move along.
Tale of two drainages.......sa.  You going to hit gnarl this week? Should be prime.

I guess we chose poorly, Newton was downright dangerous yesterday.  Watched several spills and ejections from the ridge due to variable surfaces before bailing for the groomers.  Noticed several crowns on the rollover into Heather from MHM.

Our plan was Gnarl that day but a late start changed our target.  Good thing to because all southern aspects were a mix of ice, strugi, and windblown so hard edging was difficult.  All those cornices are going make rubble piles of those faces with the warm temps up there right now.

Thanks for the post,  I just moved to Portland from Seattle so just learning the good spots to tour.  On a couple trips to newton I noticed all the nice lines on gnarl.  Thinking the southern aspect might be pretty good next weekend.  Any recommendations on how to approach it?  Seemed like going up pea gravel and skiing down and back up wasn't a bad option.  But I'm sure there's a way to gain the gnerl ridge earlier.  Any recommendations ( as well as other touring spots) are very much appreciated.

thanks

author=heinzsd link=topic=26996.msg113798#msg113798 date=1358204074]
Thanks for the post,  I just moved to Portland from Seattle so just learning the good spots to tour.  On a couple trips to newton I noticed all the nice lines on gnarl.  Thinking the southern aspect might be pretty good next weekend.  Any recommendations on how to approach it?  Seemed like going up pea gravel and skiing down and back up wasn't a bad option.  But I'm sure there's a way to gain the gnerl ridge earlier.  Any recommendations ( as well as other touring spots) are very much appreciated.

thanks

Welcome to Hood - here are two trip reports to look at:
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=12946.0
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=19801.0

Doing an a-b from Tilley Jane -> cooper spur->down to gnarl->up pea gravel->down to Clark/Heather-->out to HRM is pretty fun way to do it.   

Very nice, Edgesport! We skied the Old Chute and the White River Headwall and saw your tracks below. You picked a very aesthetic line and put some great tracks in! Strong work.

Reply to this TR

jan-12-mt-hood
Edgesport
2013-01-13 22:04:06