Home > Trip Reports > Jan 13, 2013, Lichtenberg

Jan 13, 2013, Lichtenberg

1/13/13
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by trees4me on 1/13/13 11:35am
The hills were calling.  My dad and I hadn't gotten out together in a while so we decided the big game could be missed in favor of [s]colorado [/s] cascade cold smoke.  Almost went for Hurricane Ridge, but the sniffles and not feeling 100% led us to a closer favorite.

Skinned up from the south in a mixed bag of crusts.  The rain crust is 2-4cm thick and generally supportive to skis, but easy to break through with boots and most pole plants got through.  The surface was wildly varied by aspect.  South side had a bad sun crust.  Wind had scoured the light soft surface off the Western aspects.  Hmmm, how about NE?  Dollar Bills (are we still saying that?)  Dropped off the S summit towards the lake, 12" of light fresh snow that was a little too light for me, can we get some rain?  ;)    must be the new setup i'm not used to.  ::)

Skinned back up to the south summit and dropped E then south back to the highway.  Great day out with dad, saw 3 other groups enjoying the stable conditions.  Glacier Peak views from the summit were amazing! (sorry no camera)

Reply to this TR

jan-13-2013-lichtenberg
trees4me
2013-01-13 19:35:36