Home > Trip Reports > April 22, 2005, Fissile half=hearted attempt

April 22, 2005, Fissile half=hearted attempt

4/22/05
Posted by LeeLau on 4/22/05 7:59pm
Some observations from today. I consulted avvy reports and spoke to some patrollers and dug a pit on a west facing slope on Cowboy Ridge.  Made an abortive half-hearted attempt on Fissile

- Boot penetration was minimal in the morning on SE facing aspects. round about 12 noon, boot penetration was 7 - 10 cms on west facing slopes on lower elevations (ie about 1700 m at Cowboy Ridge) with 3-5 cms boot penetration on higher elevations (at about 1900 m at top of cowboy ridge.)

- Lots of small natural cornice releases from the top of Oboe on the Oboe windlip. None of the cornice debris resulted in slab avvies that I could see.

- On the skin track to Lesser Flute on the north side, there's numerous debris from wet snow releases from the rock band above the track. None of that has resulted in slabs releasing on the slopes down to Oboe Creek. I saw this same debris on Monday 18.04.05

From the top of cowboy ridge here are some of the more significant releases i saw:

- slab avvy running about 600 ft or so down NE face of Fissile. Maybe from a cornice release but I couldn't really tell.

- big slab avvy running 1000 ft+ down SE face of Trorey or Pattison - sorry I can't recall now and should have taken a picture.

I forgot my snow saw so dug a pit with doubtful results so keep that in mind. Pit was on W facing slope - dug on 22.04.05 at 1800m

Found the following layers; sorry i have to bone up on symbols so pls indulge my sloppiness.

5cms thick at surface on melt-freeze
5 cms thick (35down)
7 cms thick (55down)
(90 down)

Results - 1 test - couldn't isolate the block very well

CTM 1 (7down)

The 55 and 90 cm layer released CS when pried vigorously with a shovel.

Is there a CAA handbook i can use to bone up on standard terminology?

There were cornices overhanging Summit Chute and the NW face. I didn't see a cornice on Banana Chute but given that they are all pretty much the same aspect I figured there was a cornice there that I just couldn't see so I gave up this attempt and just skied some corn on an open slope on Cowboy Ridge and enjoyed the day.

Reply to this TR

april-22-2005-fissile-half-hearted-attempt
LeeLau
2005-04-23 02:59:20