Home > Trip Reports > January 11, 2013, Crystal backcountry

January 11, 2013, Crystal backcountry

1/11/13
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 1/11/13 7:33am
Partner an hour late, snowshoers in the skin track, downhill skiers in the skin track?  No problem.  12" very light powder, sunny skies, light winds, cold temps, fresh tracks on SW slopes 6500'-4500' yeah!
no windslab?  not very cohesive?

Rain crust?

Sidehilling up weird and slippy?

Gangs of angsty teenagers in snowshoes?

Any more beta would be great.

An hour late? Who does such things?

author=snoholic link=topic=26945.msg113610#msg113610 date=1357955313]
An hour late? Who does such things?

LOL. My lifelong ski and climbing partner is almost always an hour late.

More info would be great bro. Was there any hard layer underneath?? Havent heard that from Crystal folks this week.........

Assuming you are interested in the answers, and not trolling:

author=Bobby Ocean link=topic=26945.msg113609#msg113609 date=1357955126]
Rain crust?   Only where the wind had blown away some or all of the fluff.

Sidehilling up weird and slippy?  Track was set yesterday, when we modified it to our own liking we found occasional (10% of the time?) sideslip.

Gangs of angsty teenagers in snowshoes?    Nope, my (old) people.  :-(

Any more beta would be great.    On the SW facing slope, wind protected somewhat by trees on the south side, between 11AM-3PM today we found 12" fluff on a firm (nicely supportive, not painfully hard) base between 6500-4500'.  More west facing, wind exposed slopes had some wind stiffened snow above 6300'.

Now go and gaggle there, or use this to figure out somewhere lonely to ski?  :)

Gotta complain about an hour late on a perfect pow day Silas??  Next time you can drive!  Was a pretty bomber day if you ask me.

No trolls here; just inquiring minds.

Thanks!

author=Bobby Ocean link=topic=26945.msg113675#msg113675 date=1358032006]
No trolls here; just inquiring minds.

Thanks!

Maybe less info is better info. IMO skiers tend to be the greatest exaggerators on the planet. They even out embellish politicians and fishermen.
Based on what I saw today Bobby there was pretty much a mixed bag of conditions. Good/light 6-10" powder on a firm/scratchy base in some North aspects, Survival plywood Wind effect on other north aspects. There were South faces with great soft snow and on other similar south aspects wind layered pow on slide for life, toe curling survival ice.
You just gotta go and figure it out yourself, When you find an area that is good stick with it.
By the looks of it get your bump skis (embellishment) if you plan to ski East Peak which looked to be more than overplayed.

Reply to this TR

january-11-2013-crystal-backcountry
silaswild
2013-01-11 15:33:01